Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya,

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

First, I'm delighted to see the thread about replacing water pump - what luck! I suspect I have to do the same.

The car started to overheat this afternoon. I had recently replaced all hoses and they look good, and the fan is running. However, with the car turned off the fan wiggles back and forth (front to back). Its been a long time, but I believe thats an indication that the water pump is going, correct? There is water that has come out, for sure, but I cannot determine the source without getting under it.

Not sure what else to look for, so I came here for advice.

Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
There are couple of things to look for.

1-it could be the thermostat.

2-or maybe a headgasket issue.

Find out where exactly the water is coming from. It could be a hose.

Do you see any white smoke coming from the exhaust.

What is the mileage on the car, and what kind of work have you done so far. I assume you are not the first owner, it might be hard to trace the history unless you have all the record/receipt.
I hope this will help and I am sure someone else will ad more explaining.

Giorgio

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Yeah, you MUST get under there, with a light, and observe the route of the leak, and trace it back if poss. Green fluid (if the coolant is still green) is the smoking gun, but you must locate it. Could be as simple as tightening a clamp!! Work with a dry rag, dry , wait, and see if leaks again at the same spot.....

It's happened to me!!! I learned the hard way....assumed it was the pump, changed it, and found out it was a stuuuuupid clamp!!! (was the clamp stupid, or me?)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If the fan wiggles and there's leakage, then chances are brutally high that the bushing in the water pump has failed.

BTW, when you changed the hoses, did you also swap the restrictor (that should be) in the hose that went from the water pump to the T-stat housing?

That's worth a few degrees itself and will also help the engine warm up quite a bit quicker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts