Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a little thing, but I'd rather not pull the carb bodies off of the manifold--especially since they won't fit into my gallon can of Berryman. Can I simply strip them down while still installed and clean all the parts-passages etc. while the carbs are still attached?

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
I think a "maybe" would fit here.....
Can be done IF none of the internal passages are blocked. They usually can be blown out and all of the removable jets come out the top.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Cleaner will go where-ever fuel goes......
Remember the old days when we would have to clean up a carb at the track between practices?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured there would be controversy. . .

I just read a thread about this in which Gordon Raymond recommends filling the float bowls with Gumout spray cleaner, pumping the accelerator pump three times, and letting it sit. I was concerned about any rubber parts in the carb getting eaten, but looking at the schematic it appears that the only rubber parts are on the outside of the carb.

The carbs (technically not Webers, but OERs with the same basic set-up) are in good shape overall. They were new seven years ago and they have fewer than 100 miles on them.

After I evacuate the Gumout, I'll pull all the jets, clean out the passages with compressed air, reassemble, and let you all know how it works out.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
No controversy ! Just different opinions !
The key is if the internal passages are blocked solid, the carbs will have to come off.
Most are not blocked !!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No controversy ! Just different opinions !
The key is if the internal passages are blocked solid, the carbs will have to come off.
Most are not blocked !!
Mine runs, but has intermittent problems with stalling and running lean. It's not blocked solid.

Here's a question though--the DPO was rather ham-fisted and I know he mucked about with the mixture screws. I see warning after warning regarding not over-tightening these, but I accept the possibility that he did exactly that. What do these seat into? Carb body? Removable jet? I can't see anything related to this in the schematic. How do I check to see if they've been damaged ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad I didn't pull them.

I removed the emulsion tubes and found that one of the main jets had fallen out of its holder and was just rattling around loose. I get the feeling that's part of my problem.

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
That would cause you to go incredibly rich on that cylinder as soon as it came onto the main circuit. It may possibly not affect the idle - it depends upon how those carbs are plumbed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts