Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
I’m doing an overhaul of my 164-L including bushings front and rear, idler bearing ,clutch and flywheel, brakes, Euro headlights and rear “S” spoiler just to name a few things. I would like opinions on poly bushing virsus stock rubber, recommendations on brake pads and clutch assemblies. I see clutches from $200 to 400 bucks can someone share in there opintions. As far as brake pads semi metallic VS. green stuff brake pad set? Also out of all the vendors who sell Alfa parts is one recommended then others as far as price,quality and service

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
HI
I’m doing an overhaul of my 164-L including bushings front and rear, idler bearing ,clutch and flywheel, brakes, Euro headlights and rear “S” spoiler just to name a few things. I would like opinions on poly bushing virsus stock rubber, recommendations on brake pads and clutch assemblies. I see clutches from $200 to 400 bucks can someone share in there opintions. As far as brake pads semi metallic VS. green stuff brake pad set? Also out of all the vendors who sell Alfa parts is one recommended then others as far as price,quality and service

POLY, I say NO. There is a discussion just recently on this. The problem with poly is that they are extremely HARD! It makes every bump, crack, road imperfection verbirate through the cabin into your teeth fillings!

I myself actually REMOVED ALL my POLY bushings except the upper small rod mount bushing and Sway bar bushings end link kit and sway bar to chassis.

I replaced the A-arm bushings with OE rubber, rear trailing arms, rear hub.

I now have A-arm front bushings and the rear bushings in-stock for those who want to replace these bushings instead of purchasing the whole a-arm as some of the others offer them to get the small bushing. Kind of a waste if your arms are still good.

If you don't car about a hard ride go for it. I personally think the poly is only good for racing purposes. The problem I did not like and most seem to like is the quick response from the steering and suspension. That is all fine and dandy in a Slolom course but for normal driving or even more important HIGH SPEED highway driving, I much rather have a less reactive steering so I do not over correct if something gets in my way at 75-85+MPH. To quick and I am spinning out!! At that high speed you really want less reactive steering, heavier steering if you will. The poly gives you a light, hard fast steer. Not really needed IMO with a heavy sedan.

I use to offer Poly bushings but they where such a slow mover I decided to drop them. I think for the most part most 164 owners don't use them.

$200 clutch kit may not be OEM
I would stick with OEM which is made by VALEO for the S and 24V which all use the same clutch kit now since the 24V clutch is 2mm larger than the 12V S version. My price for example is $325
WHOOPS! You have an L, the difference is between OEM valeo which is $$$$$ and aftermarket which is $$. The aftermarket COME clutches are less expensive and just as good as the Valeo without the extra cost. Only OEM for S and 24V though
Greenstuff is fine, I tend to go with Rotex which is a carbon, ceramic kevlar mix among other compounds, they work well with the Brembo rotors.

As far as vendors I will leave that up to the members to give feedback on that one. :D

Ciao!
Jason

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Order a CO.ME brand clutch ($200 t/b, p/p, and disc) from Jason, mine has been great, just have the flywheel turned at the same time. Ditto what Jason said on the poly bushings, I kind of like mine at times, but really, too stiff for normal road use. Poly is good for the swaybar and the small end of the engine torque rod, and that's it. IMHO.
Charles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts