Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 was a very eventful year. Fortune has smiled upon me, and I count those blessings daily. These forums are great for these types of reflections. Okay... enough of the deep thoughts.....

Please refer to my previous thread.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1972-1986/239850-1985-gtv6-build-rest-o-rod-thread-zaxxon.html

Many experienced colleagues urged me to purchase a rust free shell in order to realize my alfa dreams. Little did I suspect that I would fall into the ownership of a true gem. You always hear about deals that are too good to be true.....well it finally happened to me.

Hence, I will stop with the jibba jabba and get on with the pics!!!!!

Through a benevolent connection, I was introduced to an individual that had this car for sale, and picked it up during the AROC convention this summer. As soon as I saw the car, I knew it was something special.

Pic of the car as soon as it touched down in my driveway.

It was very dusty from sitting in a barn for years. Dare I say barn find.....nah, I didn't find it........ More mud wasp nests than I care to remember.

BTW, in the parking lot of the convention hotel, many members aided in me getting the car running. I will never forget it. Beautiful Alfas all around, and me and my dusty GTV6. Haha, it was great.

As soon as we got the car running, a fuel hose sprung a leak and we shut it down immediately, before we burned down the entire parking lot.

Replacing the fuel hoses with the proper hose clamps and high pressure hose.

A long day was spent cleaning, detailing and polishing to prepare for launch. Dino's on the spot detailing:

I bought the car on a Wednesday night, and Saturday had it on the lawn at St. Johns, for the Italian Happening! First time I have ever been involved in any type of meet like that. I will never forget it.

I loved this car with the SZ wheels on it. Must acquire.

I threw on the OZ volcanoes that I had refinished from my previous project.

This car has the very ultra mega rare factory OEM headlight relays. Told you it was a dream deal.

I've done plenty more work on the car, but those details will come in future updates.

I love looking at pictures of peoples' work, so hopefully you have been entertained. Enjoy.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The best that $ can buy

Bear with me while I post a couple other pictures from the Italian Happening.

Okay, on with the Alfa updates:

I love buying the best parts available, and dig myself into a financial hole when playing with cars. Not that the ends are an issue, but I could never sell my cars, because of the money I put into them. Which is perfectly fine with me.

On with the update!

The grille has a couple stripped screw holes for the headlights. So I swapped plastic chrome bezels to spare grille I had.

In which I installed an updated set of headlights.

The ultra mega rare OEM headlight relays really came in handy.

Later that day, took the car to the Woodward Dream Cruise

Saw a Solstice Coupe GXP. I love these. It was a stupid error for GM to get rid of Pontiac...in my opinion. G8, GTO, Solstice were all unique cars.

Another ride that caught my eye.

My current shop. Turns out, I would be relocating shortly and hopefully will upgrade to a larger shop. As you can see, it gets clutter quickly.

Powder coated some parts.

Waiting for a rebuild.

Prepping shop for engine assembly

Awesome mechanical picture my buddy sent me. My imagination tells me that this is a deli slicer, but who knows.

A guy that works for me used to be a navy pilot. This is him piloting a CH-46 Sea Knight, while landing a pallet of 5" shells on the deck of an Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyer. Pretty kick ***

Lots more updates to come. Can't promise that I won't throw in more random pics, too!

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last digression, then pure Afla..... promise

As previously mentioned, it was an eventful 2014.

Detroit Autorama..... lusted after this limited edition ZL1 aluminum 427 crate engine. I must have one.

GM Tech Center swap meet (Bearing Burners Car Show). Lusted after '62 Bubble Top. Must have one with a 409.

I get all light headed at this car

A master certified parts guru sourced some very rare NOS Cibie lamps. I was given the opportunity to acquire them, and did not hesitate.

Ran new wires to the dash for a new switch. These lamps have a city light and a full beam. The city lights illuminate with the parking lights, and the full beams are activated by the dash switch.

Fabricating harness

Tying into parking lights

Absolutely stunning lamps

City lights illuminated. They create a ring like effect, very classy.

Full beams.... I apologize about the crappy pic

Yes the passenger parking light is shorting, I have since resolved that issue.

Next up, rebuilding the engine from the Black car that I scrapped.

Disassembled and in the parts washer

Prepping to condition the liners

Before

After

More to come!

Cheers!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shop Work

Continuing prepping the block for reassembly.

A couple of the liners fell out, so I prepped them separately.

Checking ring gap. Referenced manual, but apparently Hastings rings require a different end gap.

O-rings for liner install

Liners installed and held down. Piston used to square up ring in cylinder to check end gap.

Getting it back on the engine stand

Main journal bearings

Parts

Good day's work. All clearances and crank play looked good. Have to reassemble heads to continue. Wrapped her up and put in the corner for later.

Hope you enjoyed!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Thanks for the great pics! keep 'em coming. But that workspace of yours is really pissing me off! :grin2:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Randomness.....Always wanted the USS Flagg. This pic is not mine.....but one day.....

Tackled the job of installing these SS CSC headers.

Somehow, I've managed to lose the photos of that install.....CURSES!

Later in the fall, I was cruising the car all day. When leaving a friends house later that evening the car was backfiring loudly out of the exhaust and stumbling hard. Investigation resulted in this.....

The key had broken off of the rotor.

I took the opportunity to check the timing and replace the timing belt.

The CSC headers have taken on an awesome coloring over time.

I also swapped a later style intake plenum. There are many bits to swap in order to make it work, due to the differences between the early and later styles.

Also took the opportunity to rebuild and paint the fans.

I love the blue hose. I like to imagine that its OEM!

More to come!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Good start.
I wish I had the chance to get the SS CSC's. I got mine a year too early. I had mine jet hot coated but it's not holding up as well as I would have expected for the cost! SS would have worked out a tad cheaper too.

Battleship grey suits the GTV!
I have ideas for that colour on the 75 if I ever get that far.

·
Registered
183 Posts
CSC Headers

Did you, is it advisable to do any custom heat shielding of engine bay components with the CSC headers, downpipes?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
2nd Reply

....and, I was remiss, what great cars, projects, photos; a real inspiration to us armchair mechanics who love these cars! The battleship grey with the Ronals is totally great!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GTV82, that car is darn nice. I love the NACA duct window inserts.

The wheels size and ride height are perfect.... what a clean car. I'm sure everyone would love to see some more pics of it. Interior, and of course engine bay pics!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The interior was wasted. Fortunately, an Alfa parts guru sourced me an interior to swap in. Also a Countach steering wheel that just happened to match the interior perfectly.

My all time favorite wheel, hands down! Cue the heavy breathing......

Uncracked dash installed BTW

Thorough cleaning and conditioning

I had myself convinced that I would recover seats with new leather, but nothing beats the feel and look of aged leather.

The drivers seat that I received did not have tracks, so I swapped them with the old seats.

BTW, I DID NOT use that Armor All on this leather, it just happened to be sitting there......

Now I just need a matching blue leather shift knob. Also, mirror electrics, cig lighter, and stereo electrics were all sorted by automotive electric expert close friend.

The parts guru also sourced me some Ferrari 275 horns. I promptly disassembled to clean and coat.

Riv Nuts........ if you don't know about them, get some IMMEDIATELY

I just realized that I do not have any footage of the horn sound. How lame of me. They are amazing. I will be sure to follow up with a clip.

Also, let me leave a teaser here. Go to the Milano boards for more info

Cheers!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are not enough pics being posted! Where are all the summer Alfa pics????

Correct sized rear tires have been installed. The car has been lowered. Vintage ANSA muffler installed.....coupled with CSC headers and open center section, the car screams.

Back again at the Italian Happening at St. Johns.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm finally getting settled into my house and shop. I should start posting updates soon. In the meantime, I'll post something that we are seriously lacking on this BB.

Ripping videos!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts