Alfa Romeo Forums banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Well Brad, as Teddy Roosevelt would say, "Bully for you!" Nothing succeeds like success. (y) (y)

Reactions: GradBrad

·
Registered
1987 Spider
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design Speedometer

Tried to install a new rear transmission mount, but the one given to me by the PO was waaay too big. The car will be out of commission while waiting for a new one to be delivered, so I figured I'd take the opportunity to knock out some other projects. Seat repair, wiring cleanup, media player installation, carpet cleaning/re-color, and shift gaiter inspection in progress.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Tried to install a new rear transmission mount, but the one given to me by the PO was waaay too big. The car will be out of commission while waiting for a new one to be delivered, so I figured I'd take the opportunity to knock out some other projects. Seat repair, wiring cleanup, media player installation, carpet cleaning/re-color, and shift gaiter inspection in progress.
What is the diameter of the mount you have and where are you ordering the new one?

·
Registered
1987 Spider
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Old mount tapped out easily with heat. New mount was kept in the freezer overnight and propane heat was applied to the housing. Couldn't hammer it in even a millimeter (using 1.5" pipe cap as a pusher). Polished the circumference of the new mount, used grease, cold/heat, still no dice. Used a grinder on the new mount's circumference, cold/heat, still no luck. Tried to really force it in, got stuck, had to destroy it to get it out. Cussed, yelled, threw tools. 😖 Ordered new mount from Centerline. In my rage, I didn't measure the destroyed mount, but will definitely measure the new one when it arrives. I have no idea where the PO sourced the mount, and for all I know it may have been dropped and was out of round. And, yep, I was super careful not to let the mount get crooked when trying to insert it. I'm lucky I didn't fool around and crack the housing.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Old mount tapped out easily with heat. New mount was kept in the freezer overnight and propane heat was applied to the housing. Couldn't hammer it in even a millimeter (using 1.5" pipe cap as a pusher). Polished the circumference of the new mount, used grease, cold/heat, still no dice. Used a grinder on the new mount's circumference, cold/heat, still no luck. Tried to really force it in, got stuck, had to destroy it to get it out. Cussed, yelled, threw tools. 😖 Ordered new mount from Centerline. In my rage, I didn't measure the destroyed mount, but will definitely measure the new one when it arrives. I have no idea where the PO sourced the mount, and for all I know it may have been dropped and was out of round. And, yep, I was super careful not to let the mount get crooked when trying to insert it. I'm lucky I didn't fool around and crack the housing.
Thanks
What is the diameter of the old mount you removed.

·
Registered
1987 Spider
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I'll check diameter of the original mount when I get home, assuming it hasn't found its way into the trash yet.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Well I'm not too surprised given the quality of some of the parts out there today. Or rather lack of quality control. Yeah I agree you're lucky you didn't crack the housing.
I have a new transmission mount from Spruell here that I'm putting into my S4 spider next weekend. But I'm going to measure measure measure first before I even attempt to put it in.
I did that job years ago but it was using a factory replacement bushing, and it was a tight fit but it was not impossible. I was able to draw it in using the threaded rod and pipe cap method.

Reactions: GradBrad

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Well I'm not too surprised given the quality of some of the parts out there today. Or rather lack of quality control. Yeah I agree you're lucky you didn't crack the housing.
I have a new transmission mount from Spruell here that I'm putting into my S4 spider next weekend. But I'm going to measure measure measure first before I even attempt to put it in.
I did that job years ago but it was using a factory replacement bushing, and it was a tight fit but it was not impossible. I was able to draw it in using the threaded rod and pipe cap method.
Very lucky that he did not crack the housing considering that he mentioned the "hammer" word on a casting

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
While you have gone to all the effort to look at the shifter gaiter, pull the other two rubber boots off the trans top too and make sure there are no holes in them, especially the inner one. Also that you have a rubber washer pinched under where the shift leaver mates to the stub out the top of the trans.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
64.1 to 64.2 mm
Thanks
Well, some say they should be just under 64mm. The last 3 I purchased were all around 62mm. Different vendors on all of them.
Please update with the diameter of the new one when it arrives.

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
Thanks
Well, some say they should be just under 64mm. The last 3 I purchased were all around 62mm. Different vendors on all of them.
Please update with the diameter of the new one when it arrives.
Greg, you mentioned 62mm in another post on the subject, same post I mentioned 'just under' 64mm
...........are you sure your vernier is reading correct?
2mm is quite a difference....methinks at least:)

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Greg, you mentioned 62mm in another post on the subject, same post I mentioned 'just under' 64mm
...........are you sure your vernier is reading correct?
2mm is quite a difference....methinks at least:)
Well, since I have 2 of them, I will check them against each other and get back to you

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Well, since I have 2 of them, I will check them against each other and get back to you
Okay, I went out to the shop and neasured two different mounts with 2 different calipers
The first measured 63.48 and 63.54mm. Classic Alfa
The second measured 64.07 and 64.12mm Centerline

Go figure!

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
Okay, I went out to the shop and neasured two different mounts with 2 different calipers
The first measured 63.48 and 63.54mm. Classic Alfa
The second measured 64.07 and 64.12mm Centerline

Go figure!
😆
better stick to CA then
I should have measured the one I got from OKP back then, but back then the subject of oversize or not wasn't around....I only became aware of that here on BB.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Wow! When you're talking about a press fit, an interference fit, half a mm is a half a mile at this diameter. That's .020" -- close to a spark plug gap! All that bushing needs is a light to medium interference fit-- after all it's captive in place via the bolt, nut and bracket itself. It ain't going to fall out if made correctly.

There's just no excuse for this sloppy machining and lack of finish grinding. That dimension ought to be carved in stone and out there for every aftermarket supplier to see. And their manufacturing source, too. No excuse-- sorry but it appears that certain Alfa parts vendors need to tighten up their QA procedures and inspections before purchasing these kinds of items.
It should NOT be up to us to get these kind of items to fit correctly. That goes also for the 116/119 chassis rear motor mount, AND the sway bar bushings that invariably don't fit the drop links.

So....WHAT SAY THE VENDORS OUT THERE?

·
Registered
1987 Spider
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Well, the replacement from Centerline came in today. It was 64.1 mm and it was a bear to get installed.

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
someone once measured the bore in the transmission as 63.83 mm, but I suppose that might vary too 😆

safest thing is measure the new mount against the bore.....before you press it in.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
someone once measured the bore in the transmission as 63.83 mm, but I suppose that might vary too 😆

safest thing is measure the new mount against the bore.....before you press it in.
I agree, Dom.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
I agree, Dom.
I now try to measure three things. The old one, the new one and the bore. THe new ones can be turned down to the dimension of the old one if needed.

Reactions: alfaloco
41 - 60 of 69 Posts