Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem, I've been having with my 1974 Alfa Romeo spider.
When ever I go for a drive either in hot weather, or bad traffic when the temp goes over 180 degrees the car starts to hesitate and sugs along until it stalls out......before I can start it again and drive it! it has to cool down......are there any suggestions on what the problem can be.......thanks.

·
Registered
325 Posts
1-Check to make sure the radiator fins are not gummed up with dirt and grime.
2-Make sure you have enough coolant and good coolant flow (water pump).
3-Does your '74 have an electric A/C fan? If yes, is it coming on?
4-Get your catalytic converter tested. I'm told that a clogged cat can cause the same symptoms.

Hope this helps and proves to be at the very least a good start. I hope you sort it out soon. Please reply with results-M5

·
Registered
964 Posts
Mine overheated a bit fairly recent...found it to be a bad radiator cap...a new one solved that.....I had no hesitation etc , but some slight spewing...came out from cap, up over the hood

·
Premium Member
21,699 Posts
74 wouldn't normally have a cat.
Carbs or Spica? And how hot does it get? 180 is not really that hot, wouldn't normally causing stalling. I wonder if you've got vapor lock?
Also check ignition timing, retarded spark leads to hot running.
Andrew

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Sometimes you can get fuel problems when the fuel itself overheats. It runs to the engine by a high pressure pump in the rear (and gains engine heat), and the unused excess returns by a low pressure line to the tank. If your fuel tank is low, the gas can heat up and give you the symptoms of vapor-lock, as you describe.

Try filling the tank full and let us know if it still happens.

Robert

·
Administrator
17,023 Posts
How much over 180F?

Test that the gauge is reading with reasonable accuracy. A non-contact thermometer can be aimed at different areas of the engine & radiator to look for anomalies. When aimed at the area of the cylinder head near the temp sender it should agree with the dash gauge.

If it is really running a lot over 180F then either the T-stat is faulty or the cooling system is not working correctly. If the coolant is not changed every few years deposits can build up inside the radiator and causing it to be unable to get rid of heat. Ye Olde Fashioned Radiator Shoppe can clean it out either chemically (if it's not too bad), physically (opening it up to scrape it clean if the deposits are heavy) or replace the core (if its too far gone).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Over heating

I would like to thank everyone for there replies, it was very helpful, I will be checking everything that was sent by your replies.......thanks again......and have a great day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts