Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this seems to be the asylum section over here, it is probably the best place for a thread about my Spider project. The starting point is a solid shell with no engine, transmission, nor interior, bought from alfabb.com classifields. The car will not be painted, as I love the burnt look of it. It will get wide fenders and Alfaholics chassis and brakes with GTAm wheels. The electrics and hvac will be new (including air conditioning), and interior will have very little to do with a stock Spider. It will have a roll cage, primarily to stiffen the chassis. The engine will be from Alfa Sei, so it is a Busso V6 with six Dellorto FRPA carburettors, and the transmission is also a dog leg ZF from an Alfa Sei. The target is to have a drivable car for shake down by the summer of 2021. I have restored five Spiders, so this will be something completely different..

Couple photos from where I will be starting from.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Do something on the project everyday and you can get it done in a year. My V6 conversion took about that amount of time for that phase of the project. Weekends were 12-14 hour days with all material present and a plan.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Good plan and good luck. you are lucky, I found a batwing Sei oil pan but no zf
DA9B2FD9-87A6-4CB9-8A11-08101F5246A2.jpeg
trans so I adapted a t-5. Thought mine would take a year, 12 years now and counting! but close now!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I used an aftermarket vw scirocco aluminum radiator, 2” thick. It recesses into the nose and gives more room up front. Also used 69 dodge 340 motor mount with gtv6 upper aluminum mount. Have pics if intereste, headers were a big tubing puzzle lots of mandrel bends using the header flange from old shankle gtv6 headers

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey! Thank you for the replies!

I´ve followed alfavucans thread, and it convinced me to get the fender flares. I am planning to use the Alfa Sei exhaust manifolds. Rest of it will naturally be a custom system. All engine mount pictures are greatly appriciated! Btw, what model of Scirocco raditor did you use? In any case, I will need some space for the AC condenser.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I used the Afco scirocco unit with no filler neck. Still room for an ac condenser. 164 water pump and pulleys are shorter, don’t know how ac would line up as I just needed an alternator

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Are the Sei manifolds different from the Gtv6/ 75 parts? Gtv6 manifolds aren’t even close to fitting

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are the Sei manifolds different from the Gtv6/ 75 parts? Gtv6 manifolds aren’t even close to fitting
The are very different, but the excat fit is a mystery at the moment, as my engine/transmission package is still stuck at seller with the Covid-19 issues. Here are some photos of the engine.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Contact Charlie Demarco at Serpent autosports for the flares. They actually fit very well and just clamped and used stainless screws. Fendersare cut out underneath fir clearance, 15x 8 1/2” wheels and 225/50/15 tires. Front fenders just cut and done but rears require cutting through inner panels and then weld in filler to retain structural integrit if more clearance is needed. Not difficult

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
The are very different, but the excat fit is a mystery at the moment, as my engine/transmission package is still stuck at seller with the Covid-19 issues. Here are some photos of the engine.
Never saw Sei manifolds, thanks! Drivers side may be doable, passenger side I gonna be tight. The tightest spots are the protruding flange welds over the upper a arm mounts. I had to grind mine about an 1/8” to install and remove easier. Most likely you will have to grind them down a lot more, maybe flat and reweldind. Even if you set engine in with manifolds on, you wouldn’t be able to remove them later. The stock rubber motor mounts are way too tall, the dodge mounts were perfect and i have about 1/2” Between oil pan and crossmember. Just needed a piece of 1/4” steel welded to from in stock location. Im sure I have pics

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Good project. Subscribed! I used a Milano radiator in my conversion.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Contact Charlie Demarco at Serpent autosports for the flares. They actually fit very well and just clamped and used stainless screws. Fendersare cut out underneath fir clearance, 15x 8 1/2” wheels and 225/50/15 tires. Front fenders just cut and done but rears require cutting through inner panels and then weld in filler to retain structural integrit if more clearance is needed. Not difficult
I bought them from Charlie immediately, when I got a message from my agent that the body shell was mine.. :)
Never saw Sei manifolds, thanks! Drivers side may be doable, passenger side I gonna be tight. The tightest spots are the protruding flange welds over the upper a arm mounts. I had to grind mine about an 1/8” to install and remove easier. Most likely you will have to grind them down a lot more, maybe flat and reweldind. Even if you set engine in with manifolds on, you wouldn’t be able to remove them later. The stock rubber motor mounts are way too tall, the dodge mounts were perfect and i have about 1/2” Between oil pan and crossmember. Just needed a piece of 1/4” steel welded to from in stock location. Im sure I have pics
I saw your pics on your thread and I am planning to do the same. As a Maserti Biturbo Spyder owner, having manifolds that you cannot remove without yanking the engine, is quite familiar situation. My Esprit is doable, just very painful (Lotus-position - the definition; It can be done - It just takes six times longer and will hurt so much that you will almost give up) :-D

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I bought them from Charlie immediately, when I got a message from my agent that the body shell was mine.. :)

I saw your pics on your thread and I am planning to do the same. As a Maserti Biturbo Spyder owner, having manifolds that you cannot remove without yanking the engine, is quite familiar situation. My Esprit is doable, just very painful (Lotus-position - the definition; It can be done - It just takes six times longer and will hurt so much that you will almost give up) :-D
I looked at a black JPS Esprit S2 project car that I dangerously wanted. I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t fit ( 6’1” 215 lbs )

Reactions: Finlandese
1 - 20 of 105 Posts