Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1976 Alfa Spider
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just bought a 74 Kammtail and am trying to take out the outer door handles to have them re-chromed. I think I am missing something because they seem impossible to take out. I have removed the three screws and the 2 brackets also the screw attaching the 2 levers together. Is there any other part that I need to remove? I have read other posts where people talk about finding the right angle but the **** thing is just bigger than the hole. Any help would be appreciated. Pictures would be awesome. Thanks,

·
Registered
what part?
10,912 Posts
just get a really close look at it and you will see how it removes..pretty easy....i have not done it for a while.... but with the handle still flush with the door, slide it forward, then angle it from the rear to remove it..it is a tight fit, so dont worry

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi all, I just bought a 74 Kammtail and am trying to take out the outer door handles to have them re-chromed. I think I am missing something because they seem impossible to take out. I have removed the three screws and the 2 brackets also the screw attaching the 2 levers together. Is there any other part that I need to remove? I have read other posts where people talk about finding the right angle but the **** thing is just bigger than the hole. Any help would be appreciated. Pictures would be awesome. Thanks,
I removed them and reinstalled on my 78, it wasn't easy, as they almost feel like they don't fit. Tighten the inside bolts enough to make them snug, but don't crease the door.
BTW, where are you getting them re-chromed and how much as my 86 could use some also.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
It is a very tight fit. Move the handle forward as the rear part will come out first. The position of the lock mechanism can make it impossible so you need to move it around to get the least interference. I have done 4 lately and thought that there has to be a better way but have not found it.

·
Registered
1976 Alfa Spider
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed them and reinstalled on my 78, it wasn't easy, as they almost feel like they don't fit. Tighten the inside bolts enough to make them snug, but don't crease the door.
BTW, where are you getting them re-chromed and how much as my 86 could use some also.
There are a bunch of places near my office in North Hollywood who do it but I haven't approached any of them yet. I will definitely share once I find a reasonable one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There are a bunch of places near my office in North Hollywood who do it but I haven't approached any of them yet. I will definitely share once I find a reasonable one.
Thanks,
Keep me posted as it seems that most chrome shops left the East Coast.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
At £55 new, it's worth keeping in mind when you get your quotations for re-plating. I went through this exercise with my Spider - some parts it was worth it, others...nope.

·
Registered
1976 Alfa Spider
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to get them out. I had to take out the nut that attached the locking mechanism to the lever inside the door using a 7mm socket.

I will check pricing on re-plating and report back.

Thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts