Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Our DMV at work

3K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  Dave Garfinkel 
#1 · (Edited)
I just received my car title for my recently purchased Spider. When I applied for the title the clerk asked what color. "Avorio" of course is not on the checklist of colors. I described it as ivory or cream or light yellow. I guess these were also not on the list. The title says the color is COPPER.

I asked for a correction, but I'm not expecting one.

UPDATE: In defense of the clerk, I just looked at my copy of the original title application. It says copper and I signed it. Oh well.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
One of my BMWs is Chamonix. The name comes from a town in France on Mt. Blanc. I just tell them white.

#11 ·
I took my title to the DMV and paid for a title correction. ($18) I told the clerk either cream or ivory was ok. Today I got my title. The color is listed as "cream or". not cream, not ivory, not cream or ivory, but cream or. I guess there are a certain number of spaces available for color and they were all used up. Oh, well. it's better than the original copper description. I'm going to let it stay as cream or.

#13 ·
The local clerk I have dealt with was very nice and tried to help me get the color designation correct. I suspect the "cream or" was the result of a data entry clerk at the state DMV typing in "cream or ivory", and the software ignoring all the letters past OR. It's probably set up to accomodate common colors [red, black, white, green, blue, silver, gray] which are all short words.

Saturday we bought a new Subaru Crosstrek. It's official color is called "cool gray khaki". The actual color is a light blue. See picture attached. I expect the title will say gray. I'm not going to worry about it.

Attachments

#14 ·
Since Avorio means Ivory, that's what I would have said.... but how many people want to look at your title to see what color they entered?

#17 ·
Although I complained about the DMV not getting the color of my car correct, overall strong title laws administered by the DMV have reduced auto theft and made purchasing cars safer. Who would purchase a costly used car without running a Carfax? And most of the Carfax data comes from state DMV's. Also the Salvage, flood, rebuilt and other addenda to titles makes passing these cars off as perfect difficult or impossible.

These "lazy government workers" have saved us untold millions. Buying and selling cars is a caveat emptor business and we need all the help we can get.

I'm sorry I started this thread.

#20 ·
Venting is only allowed through the lower orifice.. and privately unless you are in a Port-a-Let, Airport restroom, or a two stall gas station men's room. It has about as much of the same effect as venting on here. Makes the person venting feel better but the rest of us don't feel the exhilaration.

#21 · (Edited)
Wow. All that "venting" and Edward and Robert are still so full of crap their breath stinks.

I think I'll go down to the DMV and tell the lady behind the counter "it's not f****g red you stupid lazy welfare queen! It's Rosso Corsa! ROSSO F***G CORSA damnit! GET A REAL JOB!!!" and see how far that gets me.

#22 ·
I find that the measure of one's attitude is directly proportional to the service you receive. I enjoy my experiences at the DMV. I do my mental and physical calisthenics before I go It's just like Forest said. One "welfare queen" (whatever that oxymoron means) sorted through a stack of plates on her own in search of an appropriate number for something as special as my car. She came up with 1NIZMAN...and title said it was red. It pays to be humble when you are in someone else's toy box. Never let 'em see you sweat like a bank robber when he demands the money from the teller. It will go down hill from there real fast.

#25 ·
Gee and I thought everybody liked government employees and civil servants . (I got my truck rego to pay in a couple of days I don't want to upset anyone in the Dept. of Transport as we call it here on the bottom of the world). :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x a r s e

#26 ·
The OP wishes he had not posted this. Let's leave it at that, shall we?

#27 ·
I have 4 cars, 2 of them Alfas.

Thus, over the years, I have spent plenty of time at my local DMV office (White Plains, NY), and aside from the last time, when I had to renew my license and was delayed because the computer system crashed (state-wide, I think) my observations have been positive: they have done a good job streamlining the process, and have employees whose only job is to make sure you have the right documents filled out and ensure that you are on the correct queue.

Twice, now, when registering a classic Alfa that came from a state that did not list the vehicle weight, the astute DMV worker asked where I got the vehicle weight listed on my application! When I showed her an online specification sheet for the year and model, she checked with her supervisor and then registered the car.

Another time, when registering my son's car while he was on an overseas deployment, I explained that he and his driver's license were on a ship in the Persian Gulf: the DMV agent noted that they are not supposed to accept a photocopy of his driver's license, but she graciously made an exception in this case.

Now, I have seen some ill-tempered DMV agents, but I have also seen a long line of clueless people with inadequate documentation who clog up the system and whose demeanor would try the patience of a saint.

We all have had bad experiences at the DMZ, but over the years, I think that my personal experience has been, on balance, more positive than negative.

#29 ·
I've only dealt with New York state DMV but in over 40 years of dealing with various DMV offices all over the state my experiences have always been positive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.