Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran my 1750 at a time trial on Sunday, it was pretty wet, but I took it easy, probably too easy, at least I got home in one piece.

There was a guy in a pretty new WRX, big take off and then lost it before he got to the first corner, he spun out and hit a tree, lots of damage. no insurance.

It just reminds me that no matter what car you have, there is no fun in taking it home in pieces, especially from a small time Autokhanna, no prize money or sponsorships up for grabs.

Am I getting too old?, the risk seems greater now than it used to be, I still like to push the car and myself to what I think are close to the limit.

At least he wasn't injured, and at least it wasn't and Alfa.

You don't need to reply, I'm just typing out loud.

Nick

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Speaking from personal experience, WRX drivers are not the most experienced pilots in the driving world.

I think it is good to keep in mind the consequences but realize that it isn't inevitable.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Speaking from personal experience, WRX drivers are not the most experienced pilots in the driving world.
Meaning you drive a WRX? :confused: ;) :p Seriously, I don't know if WRX drivers are particular inexperienced, but nothing wrong with that as long as they have fun, safely.

Glad he walked away unharmed!

Jes

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Meaning you drive a WRX? :confused: ;) :p Seriously, I don't know if WRX drivers are particular inexperienced, but nothing wrong with that as long as they have fun, safely.

Glad he walked away unharmed!

Jes

I used to drive a WRX - although I have since moved on to slightly more mature cars which don't encourage road racing antics. Actually the WRX had something like the highest accident rate for all cars sold in the US for the '01 - '03 time period. It is a safe car so the highest number of injuries went to another make/model. I've since moved onto a much faster car but my insurance has gone down a lot.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I used I've since moved onto a much faster car but my insurance has gone down a lot.
Hmm, you got me curious. We are quickly moving into super car territory... either small and light or big and powerful...??? If insurance has gone down the former seems more likely...
Jes

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I was at a track event where a modified WRX lost control of the car in one of the turns. It flew off a sand mound, was airborne about 5-6 feet in the air and landed a few feet away from an ambulance.

Jes, you remember that?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hmm, you got me curious. We are quickly moving into super car territory... either small and light or big and powerful...??? If insurance has gone down the former seems more likely...
Jes
6.0L V8 and just two seats. No it's not a truck! Since it is usually driven by the middle aged, wax and polish set, the insurance is low. Unfortunately I think I'm succumbing to the wax and polish mantra and haven't taken it to the track yet.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I remember one event where I caught up to not one, but two WRX'es on Laguna Seca. With my Milano! Either the WRX'es are just doggone slow, or their drivers (those in particular) are terrible. There's a YouTube video on that somewhere... :D

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Jes, you remember that?
Yeah, he almost gave the emergency workers a heart attack. The car looked pretty bent but he was fine - don't recall if he came out again to later events.

Jes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts