Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Folklore has it that OSG had some issues with its secondary operations. And as a result some gear sets had quality issues. Of course any and all of this could have been avoided by implementing proper Mil Spec process controls and AQL level quality controls. It always amazes me that manufacturers have so little written document control in place to support getting to AQL level receiving inspection. Apparently I got lucky and got one of the good gear sets, "knock on wood". And if I break a gear ill have it reproduced to my documentation with full Mil Spec process controls in place. Hell, I might as well do the entire gearset.

Happy Motoring B :cool:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
And if I break a gear ill have it reproduced to my documentation with full Mil Spec process controls in place. Hell, I might as well do all the gears.
I've thought about this several times in passing. There are some excellent foundries and prototype shops in Monterrey Mexico who could easily produce c/r gear-sets. Monterrey is a center for car building is so has an infrastructure that is smaller but not unlike Detroit. They're doing similar kinds of work there. A lot of business in Mexico is/can be conducted in English.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
I've thought about this several times in passing. There are some excellent foundries and prototype shops in Monterrey Mexico who could easily produce c/r gear-sets. Monterrey is a center for car building is so has an infrastructure that is smaller but not unlike Detroit. They're doing similar kinds of work there. A lot of business in Mexico is/can be conducted in English.
:smile2: They build a lot of cars in Mexico, VW has a huge plant there, So Im sure the infrastructure exists to manufacture quality parts. Its all about the design, material selection, secondary operations, manufacturing process control documentation, initial and AQL level quality inspection and control. Im assuming OSG did very little of this based on folklore, which is surprising for a Japanese company as most of them follow the Deming 6 sigma model verbatim. BTW: I still have all my 6 sigma books from the certification classes I took at Seagate and there are relevant processes that can be followed for low volume production of this nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

Happy Motoring B :cool:

61 - 63 of 63 Posts