Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Now that's an interesting piece of information, Richard. What if OSG discovered a parts interchangability that nobody knew about?
Stove, If you look at the gearbox photo on the Synchro thread it appears OSG took creative license with the dogs, best I can see. :confused:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I wonder how hard it would be to make an adaptor kit for Alfa gearboxes?
I suppose if you don't want to buy the gear set inclusive you will have to wait until one turns up to see how OSG did it. Am assuming from the synchro thread photo that the gears are specially machined to accept the Nissan parts. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
In Japan, perhaps.

·
Registered
656 Posts
If I wanted the feel of a Nissan trans I would buy a Nissan, I like the Alfa Trans, with or without it's perceived short comings. I guess I should install a chevy V-8 while your at it.

Alfa Parts Exchange

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Larry, I couldn't agree more! Thanks for stating my thoughts, and probably those of others as well. Nothing wrong with a S2000 engine, or a Warner T10 transmission, or for that matter, an old 426 Chrysler Hemi. They all have their place. Just not in my Alfa.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Larry, I couldn't agree more! Thanks for stating my thoughts, and probably those of others as well. Nothing wrong with a S2000 engine, or a Warner T10 transmission, or for that matter, an old 426 Chrysler Hemi. They all have their place. Just not in my Alfa.
My appologies in advance: but what about the German synchro rings, bearings, seals, etc that you have both used in your GB's that have been or will be built. From your comments one could conclude that those parts are verboten as well. :D Where do you draw the line on what parts you will / won't use. :confused:

Happy Holidays to all.

b

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Ok, Ok, I'll admit it. I REALLY have as Nascar 355 in my Giulia with a GM 6 speed, and 5:12 Detroit locker rear end, center only. Suspension is all coil over, with fabricated tubular A arms, The frame is tubular and the body is all carbon fiber. Water pump, and brake booster is electric powered, 4 wheel discs are ceramic. The engine management is all German from the new M5, and all the bearings are made in Japan. Paint is German, all glass made up in Switzerland. The interior is upholstered in Kangaroo hides from Australia, all switches came from Japan, but the wiring loom was made in Mexico. Tires come from Sweden, but the wheels were made in GB.
Only on very close inspection can it be distinguished from the real thing, and it ONLY cost me $278,000 to build!

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
The above is a JOKE so lighten up and have a Happy Holiday Season!!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I think it is great. I have wanted new style syncros in a Alfa box for a long time,
I was thinking something like a triple cone CF one. I have no clue as to the Nissan one is.
It would be even better if they would just pop on the stock gears too. Alfa is one of the very few boxes that the dogs pop off. and there is no replacement parts or upgrade parts... most boxes you have to get a whole new gear any time you want new dogs. but in the real word cheaper to buy a whole gear for a non-Alfa then just the dogs for a Alfa.

I think it is super great when anyone makes upgrade parts for our aging beloved Alfas.

Lets just put this in perspective.
Some one here replaced the spica injection on a monteral with EFI.
Now it that not more of a sin then fixing a crappy shift problem inside the box the can never be seen with out disassemble

I will never see a problem of fixing known problems on the Alfas and cool upgrades.
If you want to have a 100% stock car down to each and every bolt. There is a place for that. but I think most of us like improvements. better tires, better cams, better joints, etc. and I see this no different then using a better tire or a better cam or adding programmable EFI

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am guilty, as charged I have modified to the extreme degree, but I don't think anything shifts as good as a moly syncro, cone type are just clunky. You know what they say about opinions.
Alfa boxes are infinitly rebuilable due to the fact the carriers can be removed.

I have never discarded an Alfa drive train, just tried to make them more efficient.

Have you ever driven a Spider/GTV trans with lightened gears?
If not you are missing out.

APE

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Both my GTA CR transmissions are lightened. One has non-moly syncros, the other moly. Slightly different ratio's. Both VERY smooth and quick. I cant imagine anything better Larry, so you know I agree!
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Both my GTA CR transmissions are lightened. One has non-moly syncros, the other moly. Slightly different ratio's. Both VERY smooth and quick. I cant imagine anything better Larry, so you know I agree!
Just my opinion.
Have you ever shifted a CR Alfa GB with lightened 9310 steel gears all running on needle bearings, with German: sliders / synchro rings / bearings and seals? It's better, much better. :D

Are the Nissan synchros an improvement? I have to think OSG has a lot of history with them, but time will tell. I'll be the guinea pig and let you know.

Happy Holidays to all

b :cool:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
well I have 2 lightened boxed maybe 3. one in the spider one in the Verde. maybe the gold?
it shifts very very good.
but I also know I can shift almost all 5 gears in my 84 mazda b2000 truck! in the time for one Alfa shift. I did have a bolt come lose in the truck and wipe out the box and I put in a junkyard box that shifts a whole lot slower. but still feels better then the lightened Alfa box.

if just putting around the Alfa box feels great but when at the red line it is way harder to shift then the mazda. I never have a problem with the Alfa as long as I give it a tiny pause. but the mazda I just flip the shifter like a light switch and it goes. so I am not convinced that the cone is notchy. I think if you have a bad box of ether type is will be a crappy shifting experience. But good working vs good working I seem to be able to shift a cone almost like a dog box. The Alfa seems to need a bit of care or you get the grind.
but I think there is no doubt in anyone mind that the syncros are under sized in the alfs box 2nd the worst. light gears help a lot. I think a syncro with more breaking capacity is needed. that is why I was thinking triple cone. more surface. now if the Nissan one has more capacity it should work well. if is has less it will suck and wear fast.

now for just a wild thought. I wonder if the moly ring was made out of CF how well that would work? as they seem to blow the doors off the brass cones but my guess it would get torn up right away. thinking how hard moly is vs the brass.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello to all "Dentists"!
I`m searching for the teeth geometry (and specially module) from the standard
gear set. With my "home equipment" I was doing some measurements and finally
a module 2.25 was "calculated". Any help or advise is very appreciated, to get
this data!
Regards!
Frank

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
9-15-2015, year 4 UPDATE: The OSG gearbox is behind its second engine and it still shifts like a dream. BTW: engine #2 is a monster 2 liter and the OSG CR gearset is definitely taking a licking and it just keep right on ticking.!

Happy Motoring b :cool:

·
Richard Jemison
7,106 Posts
if just putting around the Alfa box feels great but when at the red line it is way harder to shift then the mazda.
The solution to shifting problems with transaxles has a simple solution. The problem is the movement of the front of the transaxle up and down (from acceleration) and rotationally (from engine torque).
The front trans mounts must be through bolted. Use a 3/8 drill through all 3 steel plates, then through bolt with a 5/16 bolt with lock nut.
Allows enough vibrational absorption to be interior friendly, but keeps the trans located correctly.
If you have isostatic type shifter, get rid of it!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
9-15-2015, year 4 UPDATE: The OSG gearbox is behind its second engine and it still shifts like a dream. BTW: engine #2 is a monster 2 liter and the OSG CR gearset is definitely taking a licking and it just keep right on ticking.!

Happy Motoring b :cool:
Great news indeed! Thanks for the update.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts