Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of restoring the interior of my 84 Spider and would like to know what radio was originally installed. The existing JVC radio/cassette player certainly doesn't look original, or at least I hope not.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
the radios were invariably dealer installed (cars came with a blanking plate for the radio cut out)........so anything of the period......JVC or Clarion radio/cassette sounds about right from what I've seen (by the 80's they usually had the alfa badge or script name on them)

this for example is a Clarion 6350 from an 85 seen on an old BB post:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears that someone has modified the openings to accept a larger format radio/cassette (lots of rough file marks). Do you know if the original dash was cut by the factory to some radio format and then covered with a blanking plate?

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
It appears that someone has modified the openings to accept a larger format radio/cassette (lots of rough file marks). Do you know if the original dash was cut by the factory to some radio format and then covered with a blanking plate?
yes
...as this original brochure from an 80 spider shows
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/747871-post5.html

Your spider would have had (I believe) this type of radio blank, slightly different shape, which went right up to the S4 spiders, like here:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/327153-late-spider-s3-s4-radio-blanking-plate.html

if you were lucky, the dealer would have put the plate in the glove box when he fitted the radio, but most, unfortunately, were just chucked away......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dom

That is exactly the information that I was looking for. I'm convinced that the radio in the car is not original so in the trash it goes. Appreciate your help

·
Registered
585 Posts
If it works, put it on EBAY. All radios were a dealer installed option. You would have a hard time finding a factory radio that works...after all a radio that is over 30 years old might not be worth anything..except as an anchor for a rubber duck in the bathtub...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My '85 came with a generic am/fm cassette. Don't know if it was dealer or PO installed, but it was a bit of a hack job. It was the old post mount style, i.e., the volume and tuner posts were threaded for a nut that held the radio in place. There was also some metal bracing for the radio body inside the dash. I replaced it with a modern mount Blaupunkt am/fm/cd with two knobs so it looks somewhat period correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts