Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey listers:
I would like to refurbish and re-install an OEM cassette-radio into my 1988 Spider. Does anyone have one for sale or a photo/description of what I should hunt to find?
Thanks much
Andy

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
GraniteAlfa: That's actually not the OEM Alfa radio, but rather a popular radio installed by dealers in the '80s. It was considered an upgrade over the OEM radio.

·
Registered
612 Posts
if you pick it up you can have mine, radio works (though as far as I remember it has green display) but i do not think that cassette player works, i just dont have any tapes to check it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
radio advice

Great discussion on the car radio. What would any of you who have installed a radio in a spide recommend? I mainly listen to am/fm. I have and 87 spider. What speakers would you recommend? I am not electrical and do worry about an installer touching my baby. Any advice on installing would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

pjn

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Maciej:
Could I contact you about the radio? I am too far to pick it up, but I could send you a prepaid (prepacked) box from which you could just drop it in the mail? Very kind of you, thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
520 Posts
i have an original radio, but it sucks, and doesnt have any wattage.

im running a new alpine , but it also seems to new for the aesthetic of the spider (mines a 90 with an S3 interior).

what im looking for is actually the radio that came in my 74. its a CD player with a very late-80's look (really matching the overall ****pit design of the S3) except that its orange-text, and i really want a green-text model.

does anyone know how best to search radios out for their color and style. amazingly, almost all radio-dealers only deal in the newest hardware.

are there any vintage car-radio dealers with websites?

·
Registered
520 Posts
my mechanic has two or three of the original Alfa radios (with the alfa badge on the cassette door) and offers them for ten bucks, but nobody wants them.

if youre really looking for the OE radio, i guess i can send it out to ya from los angeles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Classic Car Radio dealers

i have an original radio, but it sucks, and doesnt have any wattage.

im running a new alpine , but it also seems to new for the aesthetic of the spider (mines a 90 with an S3 interior).

what im looking for is actually the radio that came in my 74. its a CD player with a very late-80's look (really matching the overall ****pit design of the S3) except that its orange-text, and i really want a green-text model.

does anyone know how best to search radios out for their color and style. amazingly, almost all radio-dealers only deal in the newest hardware.

are there any vintage car-radio dealers with websites?
I replaced my Panasonic on my 81 Spider with a period correct rebuilt Blaupunkt. I bought it from a Classic Car radio dealer in Germany. Fast service - reasonably priced! I even got a fitting motorized antenna.
If you need the contact information just drop me a PM or respond in the forum

HJM

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OEM Radio

I agree with all of you regarding the sound quality of the OEM radio. However, given the inherent road noise in the spider, I never really get to appreciate an upgraded radio anyhow.
Also the current radio in the car has so many lights and readouts, it's like a three-ring circus. OEM radio looks good and will rarely be used...
If someone has a vintage 88 that they can spare, I would surely love it and will pay (at least) for the postage. Thanks to all of you
Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hi Maciej:
Could I contact you about the radio? I am too far to pick it up, but I could send you a prepaid (prepacked) box from which you could just drop it in the mail? Very kind of you, thanks,
Andy
yeah, sounds good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts