Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
17,887 Posts
I What does "LMKUU" stand for?
Google gave this: Radio Presets

L - longwave (very low frequency broadcast band not used in North America)
M - mediumwave (AM in North America)
U - either shortwave or FM; I can't remember which.

They also doubled as band selection buttons. Instead of a LW/MW/FM or AM/FM switch, the preset tuned the radio to a specific station in a specific band.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Thanks!

Do you think that is a correct original radio for a 73 Alfa?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Just go for a Blaupunkt Frankfurt or Frankfurt Stereo or similar, or Becker Europa / Europa II. There are some nice looking Grundigs too. There are ways you can find a radio that's the exactly correct year of manufacture to match your car, but really you should just find one you like the looks of and install it.

By '73-'74 most radios had started moving away from the chrome faced awesomeness of the '60s; I went with a chrome faced '71 Frankfurt in my '74 Spider and it got lots of compliments. Not once did I have someone say, "well that's a nice stereo, but it's 3 years too old for your car..."

I don't have any experience with the Becker's, but I've been told you may have to cut the dash to install one.

Here's the '71 Blaupunkt Frankfurt in my former Spider:

Here's the '67 Blaupunkt Stuttgart that's now in my Super:

Here's a Becker:

-Jason

·
Registered
348 Posts
Is there really a true "origanal" radio ? I thought they all came without it from the factory. When the got here it depended on the customer or the dealer to what was installed.

I think a LMK radio was not period correct for a '73....IDK

·
Registered
255 Posts
Its german
L = Langwelle (long wave)
M = Mittelwelle (medium wave)
K = Kurzwelle (short wave)
U = Ultrakurzwelle (ultra short wave) FM
U = Second preset FM

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Is there really a true "origanal" radio ? I thought they all came without it from the factory. When the got here it depended on the customer or the dealer to what was installed.

I think a LMK radio was not period correct for a '73....IDK
Yes, the radio was a dealer supplied option in '73.

Drew

·
Registered
411 Posts
I like the tone that the amp section makes on the Becker over the Blaupunkt.
Stereo is 2 amps a right and a left channel. This is for 2 speakers. The mono radio is for just one speaker. So Becker Europa is (mono) but Europa 2 is Stereo(2 speakers)
I know, most of you know this stuff but there are folks who do not.

The radios with L and U button are not US spec radios. My Fathers Citroen came with a Becker Mexico that had the short wave as well as my best friends dads Daytona. Both cars imported grey market.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts