Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For a RHD 105.22 GTV 2000 (1974) I am trying to verify what the original markings were for the radiator. I notice a red circle on some photos on the top tank - does anyone have more details on what this is? Furthermore, does anyone know what other markings or stickers are found on radiators for RHD 105.22 cars. The photo below is from an Australian delivered (1974) 105.22 car (originally owned by Lyndon Duckett). Although I don't have my scanner at hand, pages 188 and 190 from:

Dasse, P. (2020). Alfa Rmeo TIP 105 RHD. Hamburg: Dingwort Verlag.

also show the same marking for a 1972 Uk and Australian delivered 105.22.

Any other information on the original radiators would also be appreiciated.

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Am pretty sure the red sticker is correct for the radiator cap on a 2000. Nice looking GTV. Is it in WA? I had one very similar that went to Perth, this might be it.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not referring to the radiator cap sticker. The sticker or mark I am referring to is shown in the photo below which is of a 105.22 Great Britian, autumn 1972. The photo is taken from page 188 of Dasse, P. (2020). Alfa Rmeo TIP 105 RHD. Hamburg: Dingwort Verlag. The book is a great resource.

I have indicated using a red arrow the marking I am referring to. In the colur picture of the Duckett GTV the circular marking is clearly red.

Motor vehicle Black Gas Auto part Machine

·
2,342 Posts
I remember seeing these marks on some of the Alfas I owned. They are stamped paint. I have an old radiator from a 1750 or 2000 I dismantled in the early 1980s that has a yellow mark. Maybe they were stamped to indicate that the cooling system had been filled? And maybe there was a color code for concentration? Or the color was whatever they had on that day? Or whoever restored that blue car used the wrong color?

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yvesmontreal - you're not wrong. I found this picture of a 105 GTV radiator from an ebay store in Slovenia, EU.

I have an old radiator from a 1750 or 2000 I dismantled in the early 1980s that has a yellow mark
I dont suppose I could trouble you for the dimensions of this painted mark if it is still accessible. External and internal diameter, thickness of the circle, and or a clear picture?

Gas Metal Wood Grille Fashion accessory

·
2,342 Posts
I will do it this weekend. New 2000s did come with the red sticker on the radiator cap as well. I had a very low mileage 2000 in 1982.

I wonder to what degree your RHD car was identical, if it came form South Africa. Where was this photo taken - if the license plate on the black Nissan gives any clue?

The blue car above seems to have something incorrect : the large washers visible around the wiper shafts.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks Yves. The blue car (not mine) is very well known in Australia and you're correct it was assembeled in South Africa. Other pictures of the car don't show those washers so I'm not sure why they are there. The picture was taken in Victoria while it was being restored. It was advertised for $209,995 back in 2020 and although it sold I would imagine it would have been for less than the asking price. Pictures from this car are a good source of verification for an Australian delivered GTV - it's travelled only 9735 miles and it sat in storage from new for 29 years.

·
Premium Member
13,736 Posts
The only thing I can figure is that the radiators are marked red for those cars without an overflow bottle and yellow for those that don't have one. Basically, all 1300 and 1600 cars would have a yellow sticker and yellow dot. But, I have seen red dot radiators with yellow stickers and yellow dot radiators with a radiator cap with the red sticker.

I think they were marked to make it easy for those on the assembly line to grab the proper radiator.

If you want to know the stickers that should be on your car, please PM your email address and I'll email pictures.

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

·
2,342 Posts
Here it is. These types of stamps can be quite blurry, don't try to make a perfect circle with a template. I worked in a factory where we used rubber stamping; the paint had the consistency of toothpaste and was applied with a roller on a rubber stamp. You could try to find a rubber hose that has the right dimensions, cut it square (I've had good success using a power miter saw, using a dowel to support the center) and use it as a stamp.

The dimensions are ca. 24 mm OD, 8 to 10 mm ID.

This rad with the yellow stamp was from a 1971 1750 Berlina, and it had an overflow. On Brian's photos, the red stamp is clearly on a 2000 Berlina with overflow bottle, while the yellow stamp seems to be on a Giulia Super.
Brown Road surface Asphalt Grey Tar

·
2,342 Posts
Now on some there's a red dot closer to the filler neck. There had to be some sort of method to this. Unlikely we'll ever find out for sure.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
From a commission perspective, there are two things to do… first is to test for leaks (especially with the number of individual hose clamps) and the second is to fill the system with coolant. Just speculating, but the unfilled circle could be the leak test, solid circle is the fill and the color is the inspector.

Regardless, I’m impressed to the level of detail some of you are going to replicate this stuff. I’ve gotten to the point where show days are over and patina is my friend.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks yvesmontreal for this - it is most kind of you to take the time to take this photo and measurements

The dimensions are ca. 24 mm OD, 8 to 10 mm ID.
The suggestion that this is a testing mark seems reasonable to me. That Duckett GTV which was in the first pic I posted was a knock down assembled in South Africa. It would be interesting to see if outh SA assembled cars had the same red mark and how this compares with other knock downs assembled in the UK and with cars manufactured and fully assembled in Italy.

Those pictures were helpful ossodiseppia - thank you
If you want to know the stickers that should be on your car, please PM your email address and I'll email pictures.
As a side note and our resident expert on stickers - ossodiseppia, did you notice that the sticker on the radiator cap on the second image (taken from Dasse, 2020, p. 188) that I posted in this thread doesnt match the sticker that is typically available. Have you ever seen that one before?

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Black

I’ve gotten to the point where show days are over and patina is my friend.
bellagt - I think you're wise not fuss with 'show' perfection. I often feel there is something obsessive and silly about seeking perfection but I feel drawn to it nonetheless. I do like researching all the little nuances of my car however. It is a nice little hobby I can work on at my computer work while not physically going into the garage.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Beware there are a couple of aftermarket red radiator cap stickers out there, the one from CA is smaller and doesn’t have a part number on it, AFAIK the centerline offering is more correct, larger size and has what appears to be a part number along with some other code.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hi all, just chiming in here.
I'm pretty sure the red or yellow paint dabs are just another form of easy I.D. for production assembly, just as many other parts where colored paint dabs denote bearing sizes on crankshafts or final drive ratios on rear axles assemblies.
Also, I would not take every point on the ex-Duckett car as necessarily being factory correct. While it is very low mileage (less than 8k last I saw), it has to be remembered that it has been thru a few hands and sat stationary for many years has been "got going again" several times. It also recently spent 2 years totally disassembled and stripped bare both bodily and mechanically and been totally restored (with the exception of the interior). The exterior result is visually worthy of Pebble Beach, (which may be somewhat at odds with the original interior I guess). Much of what is seen has been refurbished to expectations of a 'new car' interpretation of a very high visual quality. It is quite a different car to other times it spent around AROCA events in past years. It's gaps & presentation finish now are very much MBenz and now other original 105s look positively FIAT...(apologies Fiat guys, but you know what I mean!)

·
Registered
528 Posts
WA-Alfa, where did you read that the blue car (Duckett car) was a CKD built in South Africa?

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Paul, I think I may have confused this car with another I was thinking of so please disregard the comments in my post. I checked my records and can't find anything that says where the ex-Duckett GTV was manufactured or assessmbled. For a motivated researcher it shouldnt be too hard to find out the answer.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The exterior result is visually worthy of Pebble Beach, (which may be somewhat at odds with the original interior I guess). Much of what is seen has been refurbished to expectations of a 'new car' interpretation of a very high visual quality.
Thanks Vin,

It's an interesting point. I recall seeing it in Rankin's shop before it was painted and the interior, although old, was certainly impressive. It's food for thought for me as I am about to embark on a full bare metal restoration of my GTV so I need to think carefully about how I approach it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts