Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just received these from my friend but only one can be restored-rrrrrrust.I also noticed there is no chrome plated repros on the market.
My question is-were there 2 chrome plated originals (2 manufacturers),i received one hub cap slightly different from back side.
Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Tony at Alfastop used to have both, chrome plated and stainless steel 101 hub cups, but don´t know if its still the case today.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I purchased stainless steel hub caps from Alfa Romeo forty years ago and they had two types of hub caps. I could not purchase chrome plated hub caps from Alfa Romeo at that time. I use the stainless steel hub caps on my 101 SV. I changed from chrome plated hub caps because I could not replace the plastic center pieces. I believe that Alfa Stop sells both stainless steel and chrome plated hub caps.

·
Administrator
3,854 Posts
Hi Franco

All of those can be restored, it's just a question of time & money. A decent chrome shop will de-rust, then copper plate the item & do the repairs on the copper surface, followed by another layer of copper over the repairs, then Nickel and finally Chrome.

This is called C.N.C process (Copper Nickel Chrome) and is what show-chrome is all about, cheaper shops go copper -> chrome & sneaky cheap shops chrome over poorly cleaned rust......You get what you pay for.

There are at least 4 or 5 different hubcaps, remember these were made over a 10+ year period for over 150 000 Sprints, Spiders, Ti's, Berlina's, SS's and even SZ's. Milan & Turin's cottage industry of metal pressing operations were stretched to capacity, so several different companies pressed parts, hence the differences in the badge attachment methods. I have chromed steel, chromed brass & repro stainless in my collection

Forget matching sets based on internal badge fitment, pick the restored ones that look the best, once fitted you cannot tell which is which. Then trial fit them on all your wheels until you work out the combination that fits the tightest on each wheel - you may have to bend the hubcap clips to make fine adjustments. Oh yes, apply a thin rustproofing to the inside & turn the cap until you are sure that the inside seam is well coated & the drain holes are clear before you fit it to your car

One warning - the repro hubcaps have a slightly different badge size to the originals, not by much, but they are NOT interchangeable with the original hubcaps, so be careful with your original badges.

Chrome or stainless... the debate could be endless, I have both, while chrome was original, stainless is more practical, as long as you don't mix them on the same side of a car, very few people will be able to tell the difference, certainly not Joe Public admiring your little jewel...

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Franjo,

Is it really worth restoring them with all that it implies, fix the dings, weld the rust, chroming etc. when it´s possible buying brand new ones for around 120 euro (from Italy)? Let go if in stainless....

Dennis

·
Administrator
3,854 Posts
Ahh, Franjo, the close-ups show one has sat with water in it for a long while....in that case it may be better to source others, or even buy the stainless ones while you source other OE chrome ones & when you are finished with the chrome restorations, you can sell the stainless one again....

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
FWIW Re-Originals advertised chrome articles. I'd be interested to hear of anyone who has tested that water. Sometimes the buying experience can dictate the quality of the product.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I had similar issues with the four that came with my car, though the rust was only superficial. They did not have the same method of mounting the centre symbol so I guess they weren't an original set.
The dings and dents can be beaten out gently and the rust removed.
I'm happy with the final result.
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Franjo,

Is it really worth restoring them with all that it implies, fix the dings, weld the rust, chroming etc. when it´s possible buying brand new ones for around 120 euro (from Italy)? Let go if in stainless....

Dennis
Ops, sorry Franjo, see now when re-reading your first post, you´re actually mentioning "only one can be restored". Missed it or must have forgotten it till the day after when posting the comment here above.

Dennis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts