Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Don't know if it still exists or what condition it would be in.

According to postings in the Alfa Digest, the car became a SCCA race car (search the page for "Graduate Duetto race car" and follow the links). A picture of the car can be found here.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Yes

aldo said:
Does anyone know if the spider which stared in the movie " The Graduate" still exists?
Yes. It's in Denver, owned by a long-time Alfa guy (and I'll think of his name as soon as I send this ??). It's an SCCA race car now.

EDIT - Dale Macgowan, yes, that's him.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm,

This is in no way a negative comment on its present use but I wonder if this car will ever warrent the respect to be restored to its original condition, or is that even possible?

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Everything is possible if you throw enough money at it.

But I don't think that this car, even in pristine and unmolested condition, would have significantly higher value than other cars from the same period.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,334 Posts
aldo said:
This is in no way a negative comment on its present use but I wonder if this car will ever warrent the respect to be restored to its original condition, or is that even possible?
The thought that this car should be restored to the condition it was in the movie The Graduate is IMHO rather short sighted. It ignores the fact that this car has rather significant history beyond that point in time.

After the movie, the car was turned into a race car sponsored by the Alfa parts distribution center, hence the orange and black color scheme. Alfa wanted the car to be raced and sold it for $1 with an agreement that it would be turned into a race car. It was sucessfully campaigned by Midgley/Griffith and from late 1968-on by Dale McGowan, himself something of an Alfa racing legend.

It is also my understanding that the second car used in the movie has in fact been restored to as-new condition. If anyone has info on this, it would be great if they would chime in.

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its gets better

Thanks for filling in the details. I had no idea this car had a history beyond the movie. . Would seem to me that there would be some sort of premium for the second car and its association with the film (I know there would be for me). Wish Alfa was still concerned about its racing reputation.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts