Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Looking for the common consensus on what everybody believes was the original fitment horn relay for a 67 Duetto. This what I've got at the moment - but I am suspecting it's not quite right. What does everybody think is original? BTW - the car is RHD if you think that makes a difference.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My 66 came to me with a Mixo relay (black plastic case). The relay in the picture looks like a Lucas item and would be age appropriate for a 1967 Alfa.
Tony

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I've seen both styles. My 67 has the MIXO version.
I have 2 other harnesses that came of of either 66 or 67 cars. They both have the version that's on your car.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
A metal housing relay looks pretty original to me. Polish up or re-plate the housing and you'll be ready for the concours judges. The key is not to have one that looks like:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for the responses so far - much appreciated. After hours of trawling the net and looking over reference books and old photos I believe I may have an answer to what was the original fitment horn relay for these early Duettos (please feel free to correct me :))

There appears to be two types:-

1) "Mixo" (French brand) - as per Tom Shewchuk suggestion - appears to be not as common as...
2) "De Leon Torino" (Italian brand) - see attached pictures of what appears to be more widely fitted.

Not sure if the US market was different to the European one with respect to what was most commonly fitted where.

Therefore does anybody have a "De Leon" spare that I may purchase? Failing that know of any where/one to ask? Or maybe a "Mixo".

Many Thanks,

Gary (67 Factory RHD Spider 1600 "Duetto")

·
Registered
211 Posts
My US delivered ‘67 Duetto has the Mixo relay with Mixo high and low horns TR 89 if I remember correctly ( hooters for some ! ) , could the OP’s relay have been paired with a different brand of horns such as Fiamm?
Nick

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
My car had the MIXO version on it back in 79 when I bought the car.
Here's a picture from back then:

Unfortunately, the MIXO Horn Relay didn't work when I put the car back together.

This Harness came from 1966 Duetto 6600437.

So, I'm going to add a third brand of relay - It has a FIAMM Horn Relay.

Here is is cleaned up:

I would bet Alfa used any available Horn Relay when they were building these cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you velocewhippet - an excellent addition to the discussion (y) Would it be posible to post a couple more pictures of this FIAMM relay.

I agree - I think a FIAMM relay should go into the mix of relays used. I would answer why I'm seeing slight differences in the design of the relay in the pictures of engine bays I have looking through - from a distance (which most pictures of this area are) the De Leon and now the FIAMM look very similar but appear to differ where the base meets the cap.

So - This is my current thinking - Alfa used 3 makes/types of relays a) De Leon b) MIXO c) FIAMM.

Further research has thrown up this factory photo that shows what I believe to be the De Leon relay (you can just make out the semicircular script/logo). But I also agree that Alfa (as we all know) used what they had to hand at the time so technically can we say all three makes were used?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found 2 pictures that show how similar but different the De Leon and Fiamm horn relays are. 1st picture is the Fiamm and the 2nd the De Leon. Notice where the base meets the cap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts