Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if the headlight covers were actually standard or "alfa optional" on new cars in the US. I am working with a race rule set that requires the original headlight or replica. So for example a XKE could run full covers but an MGB could not. Alfas traditionally have I know.

Accessories back in the day or factory? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
So someone correct me if I'm wrong. The car was designed with the light covers as part of the overall design concept. The first cars imported to the US (66-67) had special headlight rings that seamless accepted the covers. But then the Feds said No, No... covers illegal and Alfa went to the full, thick chrome headlight rings that wouldn't accept the non-compliant headlight covers. There weren't that many Duettos that had the original thin headlight rings... but how many...?? not sure.

So original design and first cars landed on US soil with headlight covers or at least the headlight rings designed to accept such. This didn't last very long at and all subsequent models have had to have some sort of euro light (buckets or very thin rings) retrofit in order to accept the covers properly.

My 2 Lira... others may have more accurate info ...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
What he said, first bunch of '66 Duetto US cars had covers and DOT H4 headlamps

As I understand it in '67 the US mandated the use of sealed beam headlights and the covers became problematic.
I believe from reading in here that Alfa supplied the covers with the early cars but did not fit them?

The covers are part of the the original design, no covers looks daft in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
always confusing about the rings... The headlights on the 67s and on up thru the 70 have mounting bolts that allow the buckets to be mounted from the inner fender. On my 67 there is an access hole on the front fender liner that allows for access to the rear of the headlight bucket. The bucket has a rear section that snaps off so you can change the H4 bulb. This access changed and the bucket design changed in later years as the Feds ruled against H4s I heard that the covers were in the trunk of the car after the feds ruled against H4 bulbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts