Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a curiosity now that I've replaced the original radio in my 164, but what purpose did the RJ45 (at least it looks like one) port serve on the original Mopar radio? I didn't think CD changers were readily available in the late 80s/early 90s, so I'm curious what role it served.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that solves that scoobie doo mystery rather quickly. I mean I know the 24V series had a different stereo and changer setup, guess Chrysler had something too back at the turn of the decade.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have had a lot of 164 Supers and they have all except one had CD stackers in the boot on the left side under the left speaker area, the one that did not have I assume was removed by a previous owner as the screw holes were there, year models 1993 1994 1995 1996.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I've owned 3 164Ss and a 164B, Alpaca Mike has 4 164 and Kevin has 1 164L. None of them have CD changers.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Nor did my 91S and 94LS. What I did, as others have done was install a later used Chrysler radio with cd player, for about $50. Otherwise, we just use the tape cassette insert to play off the mp3. Don't need concert quality sound in an Alfa.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,535 Posts
The trunk-mounted changer was an option on the 164 and S4 Spiders, and was standard on the '94 Spider CE. They come up on eBay once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did the same thing with the Later model CD player (from an 06 Jeep) and other than a dimming problem it works well! As for sound quality, I replaced the front speakers with Infiniti speakers and left the rears as is. Maybe not a Bose, but it sounds fantastic to me! Now to fix the antenna...

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
You can fiddle with the wiring to get radio display dimming. Involves cutting one of the wires in the harness going to the radio. I cut the illumination wire as I remember and spliced in a switch I hid in the ciggy ashtray so that I can just flip up the lid, flip the switch and dim the radio readout. Or, you could mount the switch anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
27,013 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
My situation is a little different, as we drive with the headlights on all the time, so didn't want dimming during the daylight hours, esp in bright sunlight, but did want to dim sometimes at night, so wired mine a little differently.

I do like your method.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The install on the radio went well (though I had to modify the front bezel of the radio, there were ZERO modifications to the 164 which I was eager to do, though this did mean left over parts to file away.) I like your method Steve, regarding the dimming and will revisit that when I get a chance. While the paint and front seats are a mess, it looks like no one had ever cracked open the center console before, and it was cleaner in there than my Boxster's center console (there was still plastic cling wrap over the carpets! Yes I left it all there!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts