·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
Good eye Patrick..... I believe that all the boosters of that era were LUCAS GIRLING. I have see many Variants on nearly every luxury
GT or sedan of the period. Looks like the 2300 used 2 units. Front and rear assist. That is a proper looking engine!
RML

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I bought Bendix boosters that look just like this from a truck brake shop. They've been in use for many years on many makes of cars and trucks.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
The brake booster on this 2000 Sprint is certainly not factory original, as 102 cars never had brake assist. Girling brake boosters (and vacuum reservoirs) were introduced with 106 cars, and were located on the right side of the engine, next to the distributor. So, the booster in this 102 Sprint must be an aftermarket installation. Since 102 factory intake manifolds had no hose nipple for delivering vacuum to the brake booster, I wonder were they took the vacuum from.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I think anyone clever enough to fit a brake booster could easily find a source of vacuum. Some cars were equipped with a vacuum advance distributor, so that source might be suitable.

·
Push hard and live
9,856 Posts
The last picture in post #1 appears to show a hose connecting the booster to a nipple on the rear of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Some cars were equipped with a vacuum advance distributor, so that source might be suitable.
Not 102 Sprint/Spider.

The last picture in post #1 appears to show a hose connecting the booster to a nipple on the rear of the intake manifold.
That's for coolant (water jacket in the intake manifold), see hose routing at bottom of parts catalog page.

Pub. 685 - p.098.jpg

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Not 102 Sprint/Spider.
While that may true. other models did have a vacuum advance and the boss for a fitting could still be present in the manifold.
Unless you are claiming that booster is a dummy and doesn't work, it's quite clear, to me anyhow, that a source for vacuum was found.

·
Push hard and live
9,856 Posts
If you look at picture #2, you’ll see two hoses coming from behind the cylinder head and down towards the front. Normally, there is only one in this area, going to the heater core.

I think the manifold heat water comes from lower on the end of the manifold, and makes a tight turn to the fitting on the back of the head. The hose I’m referring to comes straight back from the #4 port.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
If you look at picture #2, you’ll see two hoses coming from behind the cylinder head and down towards the front. Normally, there is only one in this area, going to the heater core.

I think the manifold heat water comes from lower on the end of the manifold, and makes a tight turn to the fitting on the back of the head. The hose I’m referring to comes straight back from the #4 port.
I agree. The hose most visible appears to run along the firewall then forward to the brake booster.

·
Registered
706 Posts
This seems to have gotten a bit sideways from the original post of RARE 2000 sprint. Ruedi how many 2000 Bertone sprints were made 1,000 or less?? I own 2 proper 2600 sprints and before they came into my life I tried to buy a 2000. The lighter engine would be a plus in my opinion and much more simple. The interior in this is very pedestrian compared to the 2600 pleated leather seats, but the rest of the car looks very much like a 2600. At 53K USD this car seems like it could be a good buy. I am going to request some underside photos, and more detailed pics. Has anyone here bought a car from this seller?? I had a set of correct wheel covers and just last month helped an italian collector who desperately needed them for a show on his 2000 Sprint. Karma thing. So I sent him 5 new correct ones in trade for a set of 2600 re-pro ones for my #822269
RML

·
Push hard and live
9,856 Posts
Uh... BB threads go astray? I’m shocked... shocked.

In the last decade 2000 Sprints were selling in Europe for less than $40k. I had one for awhile, but let it go. Still regret that. The restoration costs could be double that of a Roadster.

Jay often remarks that the published numbers for the Sprint are possibly fiction. Not sure of his sources, but his thinking is sound.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Pedestrian interior?

Apparently the interior is the US market trim - original and even rarer. I actually think far cooler than the heavy leather interior. I have seem one spider with the same interior .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts