Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some discussion on other Alfabb thread regarding Oregon SP plates.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=49021

I successfully registered a 1989 Spider and 1982 Gtv-6 through the Oregon DMV special purpose plate process.

As my Alfas are used for play, it was a natural to register them once and never pay for title and tags again.

DMV states a restriction on mileage not to exceed 2,500 annually and vehicle is to be used for "special events." The program fit my needs.

DEQ certification is NOT required with SP plates. In my case, I grew tired of putting the Spider on the "DMV drum" and not passing unless the catalytic converter was replaced. It was an expensive habit every two years. DEQ testing has changed since I changed over to SP designation and I heard rumor that there were many damaged driveline claims filed by motorist with DEQ/DMV. (Me included in filing a claim & receiving settlement) The DEQ testing program has now reverted back to using the sniffing wand. (The drums RIP under 3 ft of concrete – no tears shed by me)

Attached is the form to fill out. In my case I had the sponsoring sanctioning body (Something of a hotrod or Automobile Association) at 42650 Hwy 26 Sandy 97055 (503)668.8213. verify the VIN and sign. (Box C) I also presented a copy of an e-mail from Elvira Rocca at AR as findings of fact on limited production status. (CYA for him)

This is a great program through Oregon DMV and it was their intent to preserve and facilitate ownership of unique marquees. I encourage other Oregon Alfisti to use the SP program especially since Alfa sightings are rare but should be preserved.

Cheers,

Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Some discussion on other Alfabb thread regarding Oregon SP plates.

This is a great program through Oregon DMV and it was their intent to preserve and facilitate ownership of unique marquees.
Cheers,

Jay
Jay, thanks so much for this timely information. I am definitely getting several of my cars on SP plates in the future. Like most people I use to think they were only for true antiques. I now find http://whiz.to/~papera/ORS/805.html or http://www.leg.state.or.us/03orlaws/sess0100.dir/0122ses.htm has additional information.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
ive considered doing this a few times but have always feared the "2500 mile" limitation....course if they never check it no one is the wiser

anyone know how strict the leter of the law is on picking any day of the week to drive? and not actualy going to an event?..or running outside of the state?

·
Registered
868 Posts
SP Plates

One could always suggest that you were warming the car's lubricants to do oil and trans changes.
One could also suggest going to the parts store and needing to have the vehicle outside the store to check for the correct parts match.
One could suggest that you were on your way to the local Alfa shop for consultation of an electrical problem.
Lots of ideas.
The one thing that I worry about is DMV only gives you one SP tag for your plates, and the rules state that you do not display your front plate. Could be a reason for a stop by the police, only worrisome if you have had an adult beverage or two.
Having said that, I like having SP plates and the reduced fees and hassle of DMV. I have found the folks at the Clackamas DMV very helpful, and always interested in my Alfa's. We have to walk out to look at them as they see few Alfa's anymore.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
hmm clack eh?

honestly im not worried about no front plate....ive had the front plate in the trunk of the car for well mor ethan a year now and been stoped 4 times in the car and not once was the front plate even mentioned.........mind you i removed ALL of the mountings for it as well as pulled the bummper closer to the body

more wondering about how enforceable the "2500" is...course im lucky if i put 5k on any of my cars a year

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I wouldn't sweat the annual 2500 miles. Hasn't been a problem for me. Plus if you have blue or gold plates DMV can add just a sticker to your existing plates.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
hmmmm ive got stacks of the old style plates from no longer existant cars.....i like the idea of a tag on the old style plates ALOT better than the "sp" plates

·
Registered
868 Posts
SP Plates

I was just able to register my 74 GTV with blue plates. The 74 DMV records show both the blue with yellow numerals are legal as well as the new in 74 yellow with blue numerals.

Only change I found is that the DMV has to send the tag or tab by mail, no longer stocked in the local DMV office.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Took the same 78 Fiat in today to the same Beaverton DMV office that gave me misinformation about SP plates 2 years ago. Once again, they wanted a smog certificate, and it took me a half hour to train them. At least with great insistance, they read the law and finally completed my SP registration. It was a frustrating process.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I had a hammer...i'd....

Rich,

I had the same satisfaction driving a square peg into a round hole.....with a 4 pound mallet, enough force, and it fits...

BTW...I heard the round holes have a great PERS benefit; isn't it nice to know that this transaction was your Fiat's last contribution into that benefit....

·
Registered
496 Posts
So Spider4me you were able to register a 74 with blue plates? I'm trying to figure out which set of plates I need for my 1969 GTV when I go to register it (probably next year--so I have a while) when it's back on the road. I _think_ the blue plates are the ones I need.

Cheers,
Karl

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Read the statutes and help the clerk and you should have no substantial problem. I just finished with my yellow plate 1978 despite their total ignorance. A Blue plate should be just as hard, given that you are working with a public servant. Frankly a lug nut is more usefull. Could be worse, like if you're in Washington and want to shoot on state land. The politicians stole your land and right to use it.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Hey now, hey now...

... despite their total ignorance. ...should be just as hard, given that you are working with a public servant. Frankly a lug nut is more usefull. ...And we hire these Idiots for what?
RC -
I resemble those remarks.
Not ALL of us are dumb as posts, any more than "they all do that".....;)

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Hey Dick (Rich, RC) :D
I didn't mean to strike a nerve. I just find it distasteful when people make general and all-inclusive statements. After you meet me, you have the right to lump me into your 'all government workers are dumb' category, but I think you ought to give me the benefit of doubt until I give you some reason not to. ;)
And yes, I know 'government worker' can be an oxymoron. :D

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
My '56 Packard has the original 1956 Oregon plates with just the sticker.
once they get that old there less "picky" about what vintage of plates they have on them...i had a long talk with someone behind the counter about what plates i could run on my 58 ford custom 300 2dr post..and basicaly i could run ANY of the plates except nothing newer than the old yellow back with blue letters and #'s...and nothing older than the car EG i couldnt run the "steel" tag style 57 plates unless i managed to get my hands on a 58 or 59 steel tag

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
true..i dont blame ya there...i personaly am not a fan of the "sp" plates..id much rather have the pacific wonderlands on my ford and my lloyd...."if" i can dig up a set of the old blue/yellow plates for the gtv6 ill be going that route

·
Registered
496 Posts
Here's the section from the statutes regarding which plates can be used. It's terribly vague about which plates are actually allowed. The only thing that really seems to apply is 805.210 2d but that is far from clear to me as well. As far as I can tell I should be able to take any plate in there that was valid at the time the car was bulit and it should be ok. Is that how you read it?

Karl

805.210 Special interest vehicle plates. (1) The owner of a vehicle of special interest may apply to the Department of Transportation for permission to use special interest registration plates. To receive permission to use special interest registration plates the person must:

(a) Maintain the vehicle of special interest as a collectors’ item and use the vehicle only for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar uses but not use the vehicle primarily for the transportation of persons or property;

(b) Supply the special interest registration plates which the person desires to use; and

(c) Include the plates with the application for permission to use them.

(2) The department, prior to approval of an application under this section, shall determine that the special interest registration plates meet the following requirements:

(a) The plates shall be issued by the State of Oregon for use on vehicles in this state.

(b) The numbers and characters on the plate shall be distinctive.

(c) The plates shall be legible, durable and otherwise of a size, shape, color and design that will serve the purposes of safety and identification.

(d) If the plates are from a series of plates in current use, the plates shall be from the same year or period of issue in which the vehicle was manufactured.

(3) If the special interest registration plate offered for approval was issued in a year in which single registration plates only were required, the department shall grant permission for use of that registration plate alone if it is otherwise acceptable.

(4) If the special interest registration plates offered for approval are from a series of plates in current use, as described in subsection (2)(d) of this section, the department may affix a distinctive sticker to each plate at the time of approval. Stickers shall be of a size, color and design determined by the department and shall be displayed on plates in the manner determined by the department.

(5) The department may approve plates issued by the state that have been restored to their original color and design provided that if the plate was reflectorized when originally issued, it must be fully reflectorized when restored. [1983 c.338 §264; 1985 c.570 §1; 1991 c.896 §1; 1993 c.741 §130; 2003 c.122 §5]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts