Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on my 86 Quad, I was going to begin engine mounts, tranny mounts and suspension refresh work. That was until my exhaust rotted out. My center muffler rusted out at the aft pipe connection. Exhaust really needs repair.

So, here is the question: should I replace the motor and tranny mounts before attempting the exhaust replacement? I've decided on the Magnaflow complete front section and then stock the rest of the way plus new O2 sensor. Thinking is that I don't want to have to go back and readjust the exhaust when I finally get to mounts if I did exhaust first.

The old Exhaust needs to go and with the leak is louder than I'd like for driving around. Does the order matter?

Thanks as usual for ideas!

Bob

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
So, on my 86 Quad, I was going to begin engine mounts, tranny mounts and suspension refresh work. That was until my exhaust rotted out. My center muffler rusted out at the aft pipe connection. Exhaust really needs repair.

So, here is the question: should I replace the motor and tranny mounts before attempting the exhaust replacement? I've decided on the Magnaflow complete front section and then stock the rest of the way plus new O2 sensor. Thinking is that I don't want to have to go back and readjust the exhaust when I finally get to mounts if I did exhaust first.

The old Exhaust needs to go and with the leak is louder than I'd like for driving around. Does the order matter?

Thanks as usual for ideas!

Bob
Probably a good idea to do the mounts first. Things may shift a bit once they are fixed. You may have some fitment trouble if you try to do the exhaust first. If there's a reason why you can't do both in quick order, you could cover the rust hole in the exhaust with some aluminum tape in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
21,672 Posts
Are you doing the work yourself? Trans mount is not fun, even with the factory tool.
I agree, do the engine and trans, let them find their new setting, then do the exhaust so it's hanging happily too.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Probably a good idea to do the mounts first. Things may shift a bit once they are fixed. You may have some fitment trouble if you try to do the exhaust first. If there's a reason why you can't do both in quick order, you could cover the rust hole in the exhaust with some aluminum tape in the meantime.
I agree.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Confirms my thoughts then.

I plan to use that thread plus Vin's thread on motor mounts and do all the work myself. May have to plan on a few drops of blood to shed too! And colorful language and expressions...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
MY Magnaflow front section fit so bad it rattled against the steering box on corners. I'd recommend Spruell mounts with the billet aluminum caps. You will get a lot less motor flex.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I'm taking the exhaust out first. Doing the mounts and other stuff next. Then when that's done, installing new exhaust. Having that stuff out of the way will be helpful. ciao jc

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK. So as far as the engine mounts go, I have some questions for everyone. My 86 has the rectangular rubber section, not the round. I also went and looked at the Spruell mounts and on their website they suggest the aluminum reinforcements only for race/track cars because of vibration. They sell both the rectangular and the round mounts. Looks like IAP and Centerline offer only the round.

I'm inclined to buy the rectangular ones since that is what I have and Spruell calls them "heavy duty". As an engineer I look at the cross section and can see that the rectangular ones have more area and thus will be stiffer than the round ones.

I guess my question is (and maybe I need a new thread), is there a discernible difference between the two basic mounts? Is the additional cost (albeit small) for the rectangular mounts worth it over the round mounts? Does it result in detectable difference in driving performance? Is Spruell correct by suggesting that his reinforcements are only needed for race/track cars? I think I only want to do this once based on all the engine mount replacement threads I've read. Be nice to get it right.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
I guess my question is (and maybe I need a new thread), is there a discernible difference between the two basic mounts? Is the additional cost (albeit small) for the rectangular mounts worth it over the round mounts? Does it result in detectable difference in driving performance? Is Spruell correct by suggesting that his reinforcements are only needed for race/track cars? I think I only want to do this once based on all the engine mount replacement threads I've read. Be nice to get it right.
I had a bad experience with the Spruell reinforcements. They actually raised the height of the engine enough that, on occasion, the plug-wire loom at the front of the engine would impact the hood. So now I have an inverse dent in the hood. I took the reinforcements off, and all is good again.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I replaced just the right side on my Quad with Centerline mount. This got bad enough where the AC compressor began to contact.

Miserable job, but the car is transformed, beautiful smooth idle and with better alignment, shifting is much better. --The skin on my hands has almost grown back!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
As for me the Spruell reinforced mounts work great for me. But everyone has a different opinion. You'll find that if you really get into your car you may try different options before you're happy with it.

BTW: changing the mounts to the reinforced ones are three times more difficult to put in.

Remember: Whatever you go with please post how you like it with pictures. Pictures of bloody installations are optional.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Just a heads-up regarding the least expensive, round motor mounts from Spruell. I bought a pair of these six weeks ago and the ones I received were made wrong. The plate that bolts to the cross member was glued to the rubber pad on the wrong side. I had to cut new slots that line up with the studs and bolt holes in the cross member.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
I ordered a set of "standard" motor mounts from Alfaholics in the U.K. but the ones they sent seem to be the heavy duty style.

The pictures below show the passenger side mount before replacement (stock/cylindrical) and after replacement (rectangular).

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like I am going to order the rectangular ones. I will post some pics once changed out too!

Transmission mount before or after engine mounts? Looks like with a 2 arm puller and a 1-1/2 inch pipe cap that job is pretty easy. Start there before moving to the engine mounts? Or with the amount of engine jacking would it be better to do the transmission last and let the old mount be the one that is moved around during the engine mount work?

I see where it is recommended to do the passenger side first because it is easier with an old driver side mount installed. Is the transmission mount similar?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts