Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I am pondering a Motronic 12v V6 swap and wondered if there is a common solution to retain motronic and its control over timing but delete the distributor itself. I understand the distributor performs no timing advance/retard functions on motronic, only the distribution of spark. Can earlier Motronic be made to work with coil on plug or perhaps is there a common wasted spark setup?

This is how Motronic evolved to M1.7 (used in 24v engines) which had coil on plug and no distributor.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Years ago I thought about trying to do something similar, with all sorts of weird ideas running around inside my noodle.
But I just simply concluded that it wasn't worth the effort.

At the end of the day you're looking to play with an OLD digital ECU.

They still used the bulky and typically undersized vane type air flow meter.
I'm not 100% sure about the 164 ECU, but the Motronic equipped 75 V6 and ES30 were built into 1992/3, so I'm guessing the 164 12 valve engines used the same 4.1 system, so they probably also used a 2 position throttle position switch.
This meant the change in AFM signal is basis on how the ECU determines acceleration enrichment. And that means the volume of air between the the throttle body and the AFM, is kinda important. There is probably a fair bit of leeway, but still.
And they were still single injector channel/all 6 injectors squirt at the same time...............

I hate to say it, but just go with a decent programmable computer.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup I definitely hear you and going to a full standalone system certainly crossed my mind. I posted to the mega squirt forum to help me understand how difficult I could expect it to be to set up a fuel and ignition map from scratch. My presumption would be that just about no one would be there to help me unlike say doing a standalone EFI for an LS motor. I got some interesting responses suggesting that with today’s speed density fueling and a wide band connected starting from scratch is painstaking but by no means impossible. Probably the kind of detail work id enjoy.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's interesting I'll check. Is "Mr Mitchell" his alias on the BB?

If I went MS I'd enjoy sourcing the hardware myself, I just did this for an EFI project on my 912. Its the tuning / software that I have no experience with. My understanding is that it has gotten easier for a competent DIYer and does not require weeks of dyno time. Especially for a relatively stock engine not running insane cams, ITBs etc.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Contact info from an earlier thread.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can take a look at NoDiz, standalone wasted spark system. I am using it on my Nord engine, but can also be made to fit a V6. It is also quite inexpensive and offers you mappable advance according to TPS, manifold vacuum and similar.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Super cool thanks for sharing. Can you show us how you triggered it on the nord?
I used pulley and sensor from an alfa 75 with electronic injection. I fabricated sensor holder myself.

Maybe it would be even better to use a different sensor... not a standard vr type but hall instead.... At least my roling road tuner said so. I had to play a litle with different resistors in the vr sensors line to get a good signal.

For TPS i am using a sensor form BMW Z4 and 3d printed holder directly on the webers shaft.
I used Ford TPS that Motorsports electronics suggests in NoDiz manual, but the vibrations are to strong on the webers and the signal was not consistent.

If working on V6 I would rather use manifold pressure as the signal for advance. It has the single throtle body to this is the easiest to do an signal is even better reference to engine load than a TPS. But this is really your choice;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts