Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you feel would be more "sellable"; A solid "driver" (but not a top dollar show car by any means) 78 Spider repainted in proper red, _but_ with a silver engine bay, or the same car repainted it's original silver?

The Spider currently is painted an awful, non-Alfa rust red metalic that is in terrible shape and in need of fresh paint. I was leaning towards red in part because everyone likes the red and it would be a good color if I decide to sell it. But i wonder if the silver engine bay would be a problem.

If this was a Duetto or 750 series Guilietta getting restored to sell for top dollar I am sure it would matter. But this will just be a good driver.

Anyhow, I thought I would ping the group to see what you all think about how big of a deal the non matching engine bay would be. If the engine bay is not repainted... Would its being red or silver on the rest have impact on the value?

Thanks!
Cervantes

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Although a Spider wears red like very FEW cars can, they also look quite nice in Silver. I'd go with the original color - it will be better in terms of resale. Was the color changed in door jambs and inside trunk lid too?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,519 Posts
Eh, on a driver '78? As long as it looks good with the hood closed you're fine with whatever color you choose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the jams, hood and trunk were all painted the non-AR red. I do also love the silver. My daily driver is Alfa a 78 Spider in silver. I also have a blue 74 that needs a lot of work... Someday.)

I had been leaning towards the red, in part because the is closer to the current color. But as I prep it, I find that I am removing a lot of the red and sanding down to the original paint anyhow. That is what staffed me rethinking it a bit.

There are so many variables to consider - but the resellability factor is one I am least confident in. So the feedback it really helpful!

At first I was just going to put on a cheap coat to prevent rusting... Then I got all the trim off, and prepping her, and it just seemed crazy not not do better.... And so the project grows!

Either way it will be great and my 13 year old son is working on it with me, so it is a great project!

Thanks for the thoughts,
Cervantes

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not realize red was no longer -The Color- as far as Spiders. I fear I have been driving Hyundais and Chevy's Suburbans for too long. 8)

Being in south east Idaho, selling may be difficult no matter the color, at least selling it locally. Most people here don't know much about these "Alpha Romeros" ;) the other day I was asked if it was French!

I will say, after a few decade hiatus from driving Alfas, this list has already made my experience with my daily driver much better. I am sure it will help even more as i fix up the other. What a great resource! Thanks to ask who make it possible.

Cervantes

·
Premium Member
14,012 Posts
The next time that I paint an Alfa it will be in a color that is easily available in touch-up bottles. I cannot find anything close to the Carmen Red of my '79 Spider.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just to add, my '84 Spider is in the shop getting repainted in its original Lt metallic Grey, so I guess that my vote is for the original color.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
go for stock color

Always stick with the original color.
Cervantes,

I have to agree with Rob here. Always try to restore a 25+ year old vehicle to it's original condition, if possible. It will command a higher price when it is sold, whether it is intended to be a daily driver or restoration project.

And I wouldn't worry about where you are located (eastern Idaho) when it comes time to sell it. There are plenty of Alfisiti all over the world, but the cars are actually quite rare. So all you need is one or two prospective buyers in Idaho or Montana next spring (best time to market a convertible, BTW)

I am in Washington state and when I began searching for a Spider, there were only 5 for sale in the entire state. Since I didn't want to purchase a car "sight-unseen" off of eBay motors, I ended up driving over 1,000 miles just to look at the ones closest to me. I eventually bought one 250 miles from my home and was able to "nurse" it home with only one roadside repair.

I'm sure you'll find someone in Boise, Butte or Bozeman that has been pining for a Spider but can't drive to Arizona or LA to shop. They will be very excited to see yours for sale in their own backyard, because once you have the Alfa bug, it can only cured by ownership.

·
Registered
964 Posts
engine bay in a different color , no matter what the car, is always a turn off for me..

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I kinda like my cars like my women...the collars and cuffs must match.
Nothing more off-putting to me than exterior paint that is a different colour to door jams / underbonnet areas.
Have a look at the Type 2 Spiders photo thread, to see some examples of nice Spiders in silver. This may provide the inspiration you need.

(slightly off-topic comment...ever watch "The Italian Job" ? Next time you do, have a close look at the 3 x black painted Fiat Dino coupes driven by the Mafia chaps up in the mountain pass...when they go to leave and open their doors, the door shuts are all different colours...red, green and blue ! )

·
Registered
318 Posts
It depends. What color is your interior? If it was dark red I'd say go for the silver, it's a nice combination.

I don't know what it's like where you live but in Seattle every car is silver, black or white. Couple that with our grey skies and it's like living in a black and white movie. So I would paint it any other color but silver. Alfa had some nice metallic colors in the late Seventies if you don't want to go with the red. Verde Inglese is nice too.

As for the engine bay, it's going to look like crap in comparison to your new paint job. If yours is like mine it'll be dirty, grease stained, and rusty around the battery and master cylinder areas. It's time consuming but not difficult to pull the engine and remove all the wires and stuff and paint it to match; or you could carefully mask everything and spray paint it satin black.

In the end, I wouldn't worry too much about resale value; Alfa Spiders are never going to be like Porsche 356's so paint it whatever color you want.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My interior is black, But I will also be re-upholstering the seats at some point, so that is not set in stone either.

Thanks for all of the feedback from everyone. It gives me a lot better feel for things as I make that final choice in the next few weeks. If I do end up changing colors, I will give some serious thought to pulling the motor and painting the engine bay as well, but that is a little intimidating. I guess just because I have never done that before.

I will add some pictures of all three Spiders when I have some time to figure out how to do that.

All the Best,
Cervantes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts