Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and I hope Christmas was great for everyone. I am starting to acquire parts for my suspension rebuild and had a question about the springs. I'm not looking to do anything but cruise with the Alfa. I weigh 230 lbs, the wife 110. I can get my hands on a new set of OEM rear springs on trade from a friend. I was thinking of going with the IAP front performance springs. Any thoughts? I'd like the car to be "level" or appear to be level. Not looking to lower it much if I don't have to. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I initially replaced my front springs with Centerline sport springs without changing the rear stock springs. The car didn't look right, as the nose was lower. I ended up putting sport springs on the rear as well, and I like the stance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just installed the IAP performance springs all around, along with KYB shocks. Rides a bit lower, but does not look bad at all. Ride is excellent - not at all harsh like I feared. Handling is, of course, much improved. Easy upgrade - once I got the frame jacked up enough to let the old springs down. Used the homemade spring compressor (2 3/8" threaded rods) to let the front down, and a floor jack to let the rear trailing arms down. 4hrs all around, once I figured out what I was doing.

Jay
'83 Spider

·
Premium Member
13,052 Posts
What don't you like about your current springs? The standard springs and shocks are fine for cruising. The aftermarket springs from IAP and Centerline are a lot stiffer and they are also shorter. In fact, the rear red springs are too stiff for a fast road car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I switched to IAP springs and red Koni shocks over a year ago, 73 spider, and I think it's too stiff for me. And I have good, smooth roads out here in Southern California. I wouldn't do it if the roads had any pot holes or were rough. I'll probably switch back some day.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
i run 1150"/lbs on the front and 180"/lbs on the rear.. as for dampeners i run qa1.. much better than konis, easier to adjust, just a knob at the bottom of the shock,, you can ge the spring at speedway motors 5.5 dis x 9" front and 5x 14 rear.. just shin the rear to your liking,and it gives a very nice ride, and handling..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate all of the info!! I haven't had any experience with the stock springs at all. Car was dropped off in front of my house and I drove it up the driveway and started tearing into it. I'm replacing the f/r suspension and was looking for some opinions on what everyone was using for springs. Car will be a Florida cruising car, but wanted to replace the springs due to the age of the car. Bianchi, do those springs your speaking of drop fit right into the pan and upper mount?

Also, if I wanted to replace the stock springs, does IAP sell the stock ones?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Bill. I just couldn't find the OEM springs (front) at IAP. I may just go with Speedway Motor springs. Thanks everyone!!

·
9,921 Posts
I haven't had any experience with the stock springs at all. ..... but wanted to replace the springs due to the age of the car.
You really might want to try the springs you have before opening the can of worms that aftermarket springs can become. Alfa springs tend to last a long time - unless yours are quite rusted or otherwise damaged, they are probably just fine.

I get the sense that you have the suspension apart and want to install springs just once. That is a reasonable goal, but one I have never achieved. Especially when I try lowering an Alfa, or substituting aftermarket springs, I find myself disassembling, clipping off a few fractions of a coil, and reassembling multiple times to get the ride height where I want it.

But hey, maybe others have just dropped in IAP springs and had it all work out on the first try.

·
Premium Member
13,052 Posts
Stock Springs are about 300 front and about 80 rear. It is a big jump in stiffness when you go to "sport" springs. I agree with Jay that your existing springs should be good for your intended use provided they are not rusted or damaged.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that gives me pause for thought. Car is an 87 with 66K, so maybe the springs are just fine. You are correct, I'm tearing everything apart and just wanted to do it once and replace everything. Maybe I'll just clean the springs up and paint and put on a nice set of Koni's or the shocks Bianchi1 uses. You guys might have just saved me a few hundred dollars. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
When I purchased my Spider I too struggled with the same issue. I went econo and cleaned up and painted the old springs. Moved the spacers around to get a more even ride height. And put on a set of KYBs. Dropping these cars, even an inch, will cause you grief when it comes to speed bumps.

Some day, when I build a track car, I'll go with the lower and stiffer setup.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you don't mind me asking Randall, how did you move around the spacers to get a even ride height? I think I'm going your way to start. I can always mess around with new springs after the car is done.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Like you, I weigh between 225 and 235. When I took the front suspension out there was a spacer in both sides. I took the spacer out of the right front and put two into the left front to help shift the weight to the right rear.

If you want more of a suspension selection you need to look at classic alfa.
You may need to order some front rubber seats for the front springs. Mine were disintegrated.

Welcome to Classic Alfa

These guys are in Europe, The prices are a little more and shipping takes about two weeks, but they have a better selection of parts. I support the local suppliers, but every once in a while I need these guys.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You must have been reading my mind Randall. I'm looking at those KYB's and Justsuspensions.com has them for even less then Summit, with free shipping.

Thanks for your help and have a safe and happy New YEar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My '83 with IAP performance springs and KYB shocks. I was able to get them installed in about 4hrs without any problems. Very satisfied with the results.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts