Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a non running 76 Alfetta. Totally stock and virtually no corrosion. When it ran, it ran hot, low on power and the drive shaft had been updated with a later model driveshaft/flywheel and still has vibration. The Spica has been messed with so don't want to keep it. The interior is all original. I also have an 83 GTV-6, very rough body but the engine runs great with recent head work and water pump.
Option 1 is to put the 2.5 V6 and driveshaft in the Alfetta. Cheapest option as we have all the major parts, but will be sacrificing the GTV-6
Option 2 is to rebuilt the original motor with some go fast options. No Webers, I want fuel injection.
Option 3 is a twin spark. Don't know a lot about this option regarding cost or complexity.

The goal is a good driver and occasional track event car with 150-160 HP.
Will also lower the front end, GTV 6 torsion and sway bars and springs. And swap in 5 bolt spindles/brakes and hubs.

Thoughts?
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Well, lots of options for sure. I generally like originality personally, some really do not. All our cars are older and it seems as time marches on that the original cars are more desirable that non.
i know Alfettas get a bum steer but there are so few now. GT or sedan.
a stock 2.5 was 155 of some magical horses wrapped around the crank back in the early 80’s. I think that 160 from a nord would not be basic mods, especially if keeping the Spica.
depends on the driving experience you want. An Alfetta will never be fast by today’s standards, it will most definitely be fun, regardless of stock nord, modded nord or V6.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd install the V6 with the spindles and better brakes. And, I would add AC.
I’m leaning that way. No engine work, just need to get the radiator/cooling sorted. but then I have a GTV-6 shell to deal with. Can’t scrap that!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hot and no power? Sounds like misadjusted points to me. Had the same problem.
To be honest, I haven’t done a lot of diagnostics yet. It might be an easy fix. Should probably do that before declaring the original engine toast.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, lots of options for sure. I generally like originality personally, some really do not. All our cars are older and it seems as time marches on that the original cars are more desirable that non.
i know Alfettas get a bum steer but there are so few now. GT or sedan.
a stock 2.5 was 155 of some magical horses wrapped around the crank back in the early 80’s. I think that 160 from a nord would not be basic mods, especially if keeping the Spica.
depends on the driving experience you want. An Alfetta will never be fast by today’s standards, it will most definitely be fun, regardless of stock nord, modded nord or V6.
I have a GTV-6 3.0L street/track that is caged, lowered and stiffened and a totally original 78 Sport Sedan. So I am a fan of both schools of thought. I drove three different Alfatta through college and grad school and love the balance and lightness of the 4 cylinder cars. That’s why I included the idea of a twin spark. I’ve always believed that drive a slow car fast was more rewarding than driving a fast car fast. I also believe that the cars limits should be well below the drivers, makes driving 10/10th on the track so much more enjoyable, and 11/10th less harrowing!

·
Richard Jemison
7,985 Posts
There`s plenty of area under the hood for engine swapps. The 3.0 V^ is a weak choice. A stock Gn LS v6 with no mods weighs about 40 LBs more than a V6212V Alfa, and it`s a no effort 400 HP.
The Transaxle cam live with it unless you drive like an Australian.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
I think a twinspark swap would really be in the spirit of the original car, just taken to the latest n-th development wise.

I don't think it's a hard swap as it was an option in the Milano / 75. You could probably import the engine, ECU, wiring and a driveshaft and pretty much drop it in.

Reactions: 1978alfa

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Unless you have been drinking Mississippi Moonshine you would be well advised to keep both cars as complete as possible. These are cars going up in value and while I think some modification are an improvement they should be kept within the original character of the car. Look at historic racing regulations for example.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have a Twin-Spark Alfetta. Its a bolt in conversion with all parts coming from the stock Alfetta or the donor 75 Twin Spark. For your efforts you get almost the power of a stock 2.5L in a lighter engine. My recommendation is to use the stock engine management (which is an easy install) and enjoy it. As much as I love the Busso in my Milano, the Twin Spark is so well matched to the Alfetta.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Put the 2.5 in the Alfetta. Costs you almost nothing and nothing needs to be butchered so it can go back to stock if the values skyrocket in your lifetime.
Save up and get a 3.9 for the GTV 6 shell and build a killer track car to replace the current one.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I loved my '78 GT with the TwinSpark I dropped in it.
Exhaust, motor mounts and drive shaft were all direct fit and pop the ECU under the parcel tray inside.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like all three options are viable. The first thing I think I'll do is do some more diagnostics and see what is keeping the original engine from running. I love the idea of a TS but haven't explored the availability or the cost. Are TS engines available here is the state's and what are they going for? This car is so original, unmolested and complete, but has been sitting for years. Regardless of the options for power, it will require complete brake and suspension overhaul. Appreciate all the opinions.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unless you have been drinking Mississippi Moonshine you would be well advised to keep both cars as complete as possible. These are cars going up in value and while I think some modification are an improvement they should be kept within the original character of the car. Look at historic racing regulations for example.
The GTV-6 has had some mods to the radiator support due to rust and would need some rust repair and a paint job. So that car is beyond keeping original for the value. The Alfetta on the other hand, is all original so any mods would be designed as "bolt on" with the ability return to original in the event that they actually become valuable. I'm also considering rebuilding the original engine and using the Weber side draft fuel injection. Looks like a 40 DCOE but modern injection. Anybody have experience with these units?

Reactions: NMMilano

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The GTV-6 has had some mods to the radiator support due to rust and would need some rust repair and a paint job. So that car is beyond keeping original for the value. The Alfetta on the other hand, is all original so any mods would be designed as "bolt on" with the ability return to original in the event that they actually become valuable. I'm also considering rebuilding the original engine and using the Weber side draft fuel injection. Looks like a 40 DCOE but modern injection. Anybody have experience with these units?
Have you seen how much a GTV6 is worth these days?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you seen how much a GTV6 is worth these days?
Yes, I've seen the RNM on BaT for the recent silver 83. I just reassembled my 83 GTV-6 track car after a repaint and know what's involved. Swapping in the 2.5 would not be much money out of pocket but the the the remaining shell would have little value. After considering the potential value of each car, I'm leaning to "restoring" the Alfetta with moderate mods and leaving the GTV-6 as is for now? In the end it would be approached as a labor of love for Alfas. I recently sold my Duetto on BaT and am itching for a project. I've wrenched enough on the Alfetta/GTV-6 chassis that not much on these cars scares me, but I want to keep the overall cost in perspective.

I really appreciate the input.
Jim

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I understand the desire. I have a race car that's my dedicated toy to modify and molest.
Cheapest GTV6 here at the moment is 20k AUD and its a pretty untidy example.
There is also a South African 3.0lt at 78k AUD
One problem I always see with people that have to many cars is they never finish any of them. Jump from one to the other and go around in circles like a chicken achieving little.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
One problem I always see with people that have to many cars is they never finish any of them. Jump from one to the other and go around in circles like a chicken achieving little.
Is any car ever really finished? I have a very nice Alfetta but there is always one more thing that could be done.....today it’s the rear wiper.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts