Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trunk release felt a bit stiff so I took it out and cleaned it and lubed it, and I found the mechanism had an extra return spring which made it harder for the cable to actuate it. I disconnected that spring and the releasing action is smoother and easier. I suspect the cable will last a bit longer.

I’ve been thinking of an idea lately. When I run errands around town I’m in and out of the trunk a lot. I’ll park the car and lock things in the trunk when I go into a place, then come out and open the trunk again to get things out, etc. I don’t want to over work the cable or the lock on the release, so I was thinking of installing a solenoid to pop the trunk electrically. As I understand it, the spoiler on the back of my ’87 is not metal, I was thinking why not conceal a magnetic reed switch in it and just use a magnet to operate the solenoid. That would make it quick and easy to open.

So I need to search the web and get an inexpensive 12 volt solenoid I can mount in there. These should be a plentiful item. Does any one know a good source?

·
Registered
398 Posts
You're still going to be able to open the trunk when the battery is dead, right?

I have a problem with the reed switch idea. Granted, I haven't seen one of these in a long time, so my concern may be unwarranted, but what is going to keep your trunk from popping open every time you drive over a bump in the road?

Tim

·
Registered
203 Posts
Go check out the solenoid on a 96 and up Maxima, It uses a small solenoid with a short section of cable coming from the pulling end, it has a small ball on the end of the cable to attach to the latch and 2 bolts hold it on. I also agree with Tim, it would most likely be easier to adapt a release button out of the donor car rather than the reed switch in the spoiler:cool:. Good luck and take and post pics if you do it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good thinking Tim, I'm pretty sure the reed switches are able to handle some jostling, but I'll test first. Also, I would attach the solenoid so the trunk cable would still operate.

Thanks for the tips on finding solenoids, Skip and Kevin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts