Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the direct link in my browser that has been working since I can remember, has now suddenly changed so that I get this silly
"Oops! We ran into some problems" message?

screenshot.jpg

The link I have always used direct to the spider forum was always:

and now they've stuck a ".12" on the end, like this.....

same with the UK site, except they stuck a ".60" on the end:
from
to

is there a reason or are you just trying to annoy us with this nuttiness?

Dom

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The link I have always used direct to the spider forum was always:
The new BB software changed the links from "/bb/forums/" to "/threads/". You may have to clear the cache and/or update the bookmarks in you browser to let the browser learn and remember the new links (then again, it wouldn't be all that hard to run a script on the web server that redirects the dead links, but that would be asking too much).

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uhmm.
as I type this reply, OK there I can read "threads "........alfabb.com/threads/oops-we-ran.......etc

But my direct link saved in my browser to the spider section still reads "forums" like this
"******com/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994.12/"
iow identical to what it was except it has that wierd
.12/
stuck on the end.

Oh well, I'll live with it, just a pain having to forever change things on this and alfaowner sites.

But thanks Ruedi all the same:)

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the link I get when I go to the Spider forum:

yes, and you will notice in your browser bar (or just hold your mouse over that, and at the bottom it will show the web address) that that now has the
.12/ after the '1966-1994', which is new and why my favorites were coming up with "oops!"

But my browser has now learned to stick that .12/ on the end too, so it opens correct for me too...now.
Thanx.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
iow identical to what it was except it has that wierd
.12/
stuck on the end.
I had a closer look at this. I first thought this notation was the equivalent of server-generated page repagination (according to browser settings) but, on second look, these numbers seem to be part of a hard (or at least firm) link that XenForo software uses for translating the internal database structure. The number supposedly ascends in the sequence of how forums were created and initially (before search engine optimization and embedding keywords in URIs became important) may have helped to create short links. Nowadays, this numbering structure doesn't make much sense anymore -- but it seems to be a technical/historical artifact we'll have to live with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts