Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... Pulled the front head off of the 164 yesterday. Today I pulled the rear head. I undid the nuts and then had a hell of a time getting the head to come off:mad:. It was stuck at the passenger side rear stud.(so I thought!)

Well... with a bit of brute force and some cussing I got it off. :D

Well...(once again) It came off with the oil pump shaft attached to the gear since I failed to read the manual that I had sitting on my tool box! Removed the shaft from the gear and slid it back down into the oil pump. It slides in and out like a dick in a shirtsleeve:(.

I'm guessing that I'll have to buy a new oil pump unless anyone has any bright ideas. I'm guessing that green sleeve lock-tight won't hold it?

I did discover that it is a lot easier to remove the rear head if you remove the front sub frame bolts, loosen the rear sub frame bolts. before you remove the front bolts you have to remove the core support bolts and then let the sub frame hang on the rear bolts. It makes it so you don't have to remove the false fire wall. (See crappy phone pic) The pic is of the rear cam pulley on the head that i did not have to remove to pull the head.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I too almost did this on a wrecking yard car. I stopped, went home, then posted on the BB about it, undid the small nut on top of the gear, then the head came right off. Its easy to do, since its hidden and if you did not know about it in the first place then I can see anyone doing it. Don't feel bad, I am sure somebody has an oil pump around the BB that they will be happy to sell you.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll just buy a new pump:mad:. I have done several Milano/GTV-6 heads and just wasn't thinking. I'm used to pulling the distributor first on those cars.Whooops!

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
The hidden nut is under the small almost circular plate where the oil separator drain comes back to the block at the right front cormer of the motor (crankshaft point of view) near cylinder #1. It's where the distributor is on a Milano engine.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should try to lift the head off with an extra foot and a half rod attached to it! Bugger I say!!

Paul

I am due for a new oil pump any way:D

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
You should try to lift the head off with an extra foot and a half rod attached to it! Bugger I say!!

Paul

I am due for a new oil pump any way:D

Sounds like fun but not the recommended way to do it is it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts