Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well jim,
i'm currently having a ignition problem. i can't get any spark. I've changed the plugs, wires, and coil, but the problem still persists. So now i want to check all the sensors, and wiring. I would like to have a manual handy, for some tips and tricks. Not to mention all the specs.

thanks
Scott

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Unfortunatly, I don't know of an online manual for the VSZ Digital Electronic Ignition. I have a few specs on disc but w/o a scanner, the best I could do is print and mail it to you. In the meantime, I'll try to shed a little light on the subect but I am not at all familiar with this system.
Please don't take this question as an insult. I only ask because it's happened to me - more than once. Were the new parts installed because of a no-spark or the no-spark started after the new parts were installed?
Basically, the ignition control unit controls the timing, dwell and spark intensity using inputs from the coolant temp sensor (CTS), vacuum sensor (engine load), an engine reference sensor and an RPM sensor for it's calculations.
The first things to check are fuses 7 & 8. Fuse 7 supplies switched power to the coil thru a green/black stripe wire (check with a voltmeter, key on) and fuse 8 supplies power, also a grn/blk wire, to the ignition control unit located behind a panel behind the right seat. Clean/replace as necessary (all fuses and fuse holders should be cleaned annually anyway).
My next guess would be to check the electrical connections at the ref. and rpm sensors which I believe to be located on the bellhousing.
That's about all the light I can shed. Hope it gets you started.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts