Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm new to Alfa Spider ownership, though have had a couple of Alfa daily drives in the past. I've picked up a 1987 spider that needs 'a bit' of work.

When it was towed into my garage, I sent my friend a couple of short videos on WhatsApp of my first impressions which I have shared below and would enjoy your comments on.

Please bear in mind the videos were spontaneous, not intended for sharing, not very well informed and contain a couple of cuss words:

I'm curious to know if this is a particularly bad example and any good stuff to cheer me up. Thanks :)

·
Administrator
17,150 Posts
Welcome to the AlfaBB. I think your Spider looks fairly good. A few minor issues - hopefully just cosmetic. I wonder if the paint bubbling near the chrome trim is due to prior paint removal chemicals that were not properly removed/neutralized?

·
Administrator
3,846 Posts
Welcome aboard the BB...... that's a really nice Spider, very clean & honest, some small things for you to deal with, but overall looks fantastic

Welcome to Spider ownership

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, gives me some heart in it :) .... the boxes of parts have started arriving too

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,649 Posts
Yeah, it looks like a typical used Spider with a bunch of previous owner bodges to clean up. You should be fine.

Honestly if it hasn't burned your house down yet you're probably ahead of the game.

·
Registered
699 Posts
What do you what from this car. 100 point show winner or a fun car to drive. If the car drive and stops straight to are already ahead of the game. Here is my two cents. My Spider is my date car and for sure I do not want any side of the road break downs with my wife in the car. First insure the spider is super reliable. In the end our spiders are not worth a ton of money so do not sweet the small stuff.

Welcome to a great hoppy with great support,

Ken Smith

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve had show cars, couldn’t be bothered with that any more.... this is going to be mechanically perfect if possible by next summer, then it’s for impromptu runs around the coast without sweating about rubbing the occasional hedge row on the narrow roads 👍🏼

·
Administrator
3,846 Posts
I’ve had show cars, couldn’t be bothered with that any more.... this is going to be mechanically perfect if possible by next summer, then it’s for impromptu runs around the coast without sweating about rubbing the occasional hedge row on the narrow roads 👍🏼
Exactly, that's what my '60 Giulietta Spider is, a driver & over the past 15 years it has done lots of trips including six cross country trips in excess of 1500 miles per trip

Make it mechanically sound, regular servicing, don't stint on brakes or suspension or steering & you will have tons of fun in it

Ciao
Greig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts