Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
dude...how on earth did a 33 make it to New Hampshire???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Aha!

Clearly the green Volkswagen (?) 'is not like the others' :D
But what is the red 'restoration job' in the background? - the photo is just too blurry (or is it my eyes :eek:) to make it out.
Andrew

·
Registered
418 Posts
Definetely a single carb Series 3 'Sud, probably a 1.5, since you Yanks wouldn't make do with the 1,3 :D

Funnily enough, I was -very- close to buying a completely similiar car some months ago (albeit a 1.3), but didn't in the end, leading me to stumble across my current beauty :)

Good luck on your boxer ownership, but I warn you; it's addictive..!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No single carb, no 1.3, no 1.5, she's got a twin weber 1.7 conversion. :cool:
The 1.3 would use way to little gas for us Yanks, give me a 1.7 or give me death!!!
The thing is an absolute hoot, shifting with my left and steering with my right is taking so getting used to but other than that its my favorite alfa owned so far! Its such a simple car too, i changed the oil and coolant without jacking the car up. E-brake adjustments are a snap, cams don't even have to come out for a tappet adjustment!! I was saving to put a down payment on a house this fall but that can always be postponed till after i sell it. BTW, who wants a sud:D

Now if we can only get an AONE autocross day together...:rolleyes:

I think Maldi got it! I also would have accepted one has the steering wheel on the wrong side. Andrew got it right except for the 'restoration project' is a rusty parts car.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Man nice Sud! I wish they offered those cars to us here in the states, they are so **** cool! Congrats again, great find and a great post,
Jon

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I could make a long story about the factory test drive in a 1.7 Sud, but that is for a time with a glass of Chianti. :) I was so impressed with the car, that I wanted to import one. The cost of the car would have been double what it cost me so I took a pass. That was one of the best driving, handling cars for a sedan! Wait until you get it on the auto-cross pad, you will not want to let go of that car!
I want to know how you got your hands on one of those? I want one! :)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree. Could we get a group buy on this:cool:
After i sell this one I am going to have to import another for myself next year. Probably LHD tho. Like the rest of the group buys on the site i will take serious inquiries only and don't worry, i will have the cars here last week!;):rolleyes:

I cant exaggerate how this car is 100% fun fun fun!! Plus im getting about 34mpg. Life is good:cool:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
What is the cost of a good clean Alfa Sud 1.7 in USD? I saw one on Ebay hear a few months back but I was not in the buying position then. That was one very clean and maintained Sud. A Sud GT would be my preference.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
What is the cost of a good clean Alfa Sud 1.7 in USD? I saw one on Ebay hear a few months back but I was not in the buying position then. That was one very clean and maintained Sud. A Sud GT would be my preference.
Well the Sud ended production in 1986 as the 1.7 was just added to the Sprint. The sud came with a 1.3 and 1.5 stock, which arent bad engines, but never the 1.7. The 1.7 8v its almost a drop in conversion, like a 3.0 Verde into a GTV6/75 (simple), and the 1.7 16v engine is like putting a 24v 3.0 into a GTV6/75 (harder but can be done).
As far as average prices, $1,000 for a ratty sud with just surface rust, $2,000 for a respectable rust free one, and $4-5,000 for a mint Sud/Sprint with a 1.7.
Sud GT, do you mean a TI? I like the TI's quad headlights and S1/S2 rear myself. Hopefully i will find a clean 75-80 two door TI 1.5 to bring in next.

1983 Sud 1.3, rusty, running sold at 300 pounds
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alfa-Romeo-Alfasud_W0QQitemZ190126785887QQihZ009QQcategoryZ9834QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1980 sud 1.7 16v race car didnt sell at 1,000 pounds
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1980-Alfasud-racecar-1700-8v-ideal-track-car_W0QQitemZ230146212714QQihZ013QQcategoryZ9834QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This winner from germany :rolleyes:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alfasud_W0QQitemZ200123419414QQihZ010QQcategoryZ9834QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

MINT sprint with a 16v 1.7 engine sold at 2,040 pounts
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alfa-Romeo-Sprint-Green-Cloverleaf-with-1-7-16V-Conv_W0QQitemZ180134271403QQihZ008QQcategoryZ9834QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sprint from germany, sold for 600 euro
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/alfa-romeo-sprint_W0QQitemZ190127299275QQihZ009QQcategoryZ9834QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
There are a few nice Suds' out there. I still wonder about how to get around the feds at the docks with these cars, as we never "officially" got these cars on this shore. There were a batch of them sent over for smog checks and crash testing. The cars did well in testing but AR pulled out of the idea of bringing them over when they would have been head to head with the VW's Rabbits and Sirocco's.
My prefernce would be to have a left hand drive, with the 1.7 engine.
I noticed in one of those car photos there was a AFM. Did the later cars come with FI?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts