Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I called one of the used Alfa parts sellers (a very nice guy, named Larry).
He told me that he can sell an intake camshaft but my car uses the Europe kind of cam while he can sell the US type.

The question is, what are the differences? can I use the US type for the intake cam? (I guess my other camshaft is from Europe too...)

One more question, if I'll decide to rebuild the VVT, what do I need to do that?
I know I will need the cam with the VVT gears, the solenoid and wires, but my engine uses carburetors (D'ellotro) can I connect it to the VVT? if yes, how?

Thank you,
Saar.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
the one big problem with the VVT (which hardly needs rebuilding, it is a simple electric solenoid) is the big rubber mount between it and the cam cover which you cannot replace, cause it is made of unobtanium from the planet Zonk!! People have cut up radiator hose, used gaffer tape, sealant etc., all with some sort of success -
All you can replace on the VVT is the small O ring through which the plunger goes, as this hardens and allows oil to leak out ....even this you have to match up at the local hardware store.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/756042-post14.html

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I'm not sure I followed you.
Currently, I don't have a single part of it working.
I have a bad camshaft, no solenoid at all, no wiring.
So I'm thinking of those 2 choices:

1. replacing the camshaft to a regular one - pre-83 with no VVT - in that case, any differences between the US model to the Europe model?

2. rebuilding the VVT - need to buy all the parts.

Saar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts