Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

After 22 yrs, my Quads driver seat cushion is just plain tired..the side foams are allowing me to feel the metal frame and the bottom foam has crushed enough to feel the pan or pain, whichever after lenghty drives. Incidentally, the original gray leather/red stiching is is great shape so i order the recaro style foam from IAP then one from Centerline..both are the same but neither will fit. They are good in the front portion but near the back i realize my seats have a much more pronounced taper than the cushions so i look at numerous spiders photos and realize that non passive restraint cars did not have that big taper where the bottom seat cushion meets the back cushion which also has a very pronounced taper. I long ago did away with the passive restraint but I cannot see how the normal seats would have interfered with it anyhow.

The big question, does anyone know where i might locate a replacement foam for this need? I will try to post a picture of it later today.

·
Registered
296 Posts
That is odd. They may have had to change the seats to reposition the driver (i.e. crash test dummy) relative to the restraints. I'd be shocked if there was an after-market source for unique '88 Quad seat foam. Probably time to get the Ginsu bread knife out and use the old foam as your template... good luck.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Spider Holly,
I took out the seat, separated the back from the bottom and took the seat part to an auto upholstery shop.
He rebuilt the foam as required...They used high density foam and they have ways of joining pieces of foam and "sculpting" the pieces to fit. He also used some cushion stuffing material to get the outside shapes. It turned out fine.
Seats of every ilk are repaired/refoamed/restuffed every day...the guy told me he does all kinds of sport car bucket seats.
If you take in the seat pan..it will cost you very little...
He also replaced one of the side vinyl panels.

TTFN Elio

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...I still have the new foam bottom from centerline--i think i would like to keep it and find a seat from an 86,87, or 89 Quad and just replace the driver's seat...needs to be gray leather with red stitching and back in good shape [may be a tall order]. anyhow, here are some pics:
alfaseat1.jpg

alfaseat.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts