Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 4901 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Greed & Lust

junglejustice said:
One small correction here Michael - the one 24 valve motor in the pics above with the valve covers off is actually my 3.45 litre that is going in my street 164 LS with a 6-speed close-ratio GTA gearbox... :eek: Sorry bud - the shots all came in in the same email - my fault!
Awhh man! I got greedy again! I was hoping you might of forgot about that engine. D**N!!:mad: Is that my porting job shot?:rolleyes:

streetfame

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Update: Edit

Ok, so I've edited my last post with the latest engine shots from Dawie's shop. Seems there was some confusion between which "progress shots" were of my engine and John's. Sorry.

Also, I've noticed that several members have rated my thread with 5 stars!!:D Wow! Thanks to whomever voted! It's taken a lot of ground work to get to this point and to start to see things finally coming together is really exciting!!:D

streetfame

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
How about some pics of the car (no matter how rough she looks right now...) We all love to see the progression!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Ready For Transport to Shop

Yeah....so far it's been posting of the engine because that's what I've really been antisipating, Johnny!. Can you blame me?:D

Here are several images and a quick story of it's background...

A friend of mine found it in a warehouse in South Florida where it had sat for about 9 years due to a seized engine that the owner never decided to fix. I negotiated a price for the car and had it trailered back to Toronto. It has just 23K on it, no rust and straight as an arrow. The driver mirror was damaged with only the top and the passenger door handel missing. Other than that, the car was a diamond of a find for what I needed.

Since then I've had the car in storage until I've had enough money to get the project started. As for the interior the dash has no cracks! The seats will be thrown out and replaced, along with carpet, door panels and lower dash.

Presently, the car is at Joseph's shop awaiting the arrival of the engine. Here are some pics I took of the car just before I transported it there about 3 months ago.

streetfame

Attachments

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
You have a good Palate from which to create your masterpiece. I love seeing people take what others would throw away and make something people stare at in admiration. Your on the right track! Can't wait to see the project start to come together!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Do I see some eccentric pin striping or is that just the light reflection in the pics?

Not a bad color combo on a spider, are you going to keep it classy sleeper/ bipolar style or do something more demon possessed to match your motor on roids? :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good luck
Looking forward to seeing this car develop.

PS the dash in that model spider really looks nice - In my opinion one of the best looking ( much nicer than the older spiders and GTV's

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
cougarchee said:
You have a good Palate from which to create your masterpiece. I love seeing people take what others would throw away and make something people stare at in admiration. Your on the right track! Can't wait to see the project start to come together!

Thanks Cougarchee! Yeah, it's not the prettiest thing right now but I'm hard at work in changing that. I also saw the pics of where you started from. Wow! Words cannot say enough on your resurection!!! Great job!

GoldCloverLeaf said:
Do I see some eccentric pin striping or is that just the light reflection in the pics?

Not a bad color combo on a spider, are you going to keep it classy sleeper/ bipolar style or do something more demon possessed to match your motor on roids? :D

Oh that's some "eccentric pin striping" all right!!:eek: Don't even ask me how that ended up there!! The color combo?? Not bad exterior wise. As for the inside I'm not a big fan of tan...just not my grove. Interior will be black. With the exterior color choice...not sure at the moment...still deciding between a couple shades, but will keep it a classy color. Stay tuned for the final decision.

Hey did you see that interior??? Looks like Godzilla was snackin' on my seats and coughed all over the dash!!:mad:

geofd said:
Good luck
Looking forward to seeing this car develop.

PS the dash in that model spider really looks nice - In my opinion one of the best looking ( much nicer than the older spiders and GTV's
Thanks geofd! My favorite dash as well...minus all the dust and sorry looking glove box!!:eek:

There should be a few key developements happening soon. Stay tuned for some awsome updates...:rolleyes:

streetfame

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Update: New Ron Simons Racing Suspenson On Route!!!

Here's a shot of the new suspension for the Demon Spider on route to me!!:D This is Ron Simons All New Fully Adjustable Racing Suspension for Spiders. Coilovers are for the rear while the seperate springs and shocks are for the front.

Getting all that power to the road is crutial and it's going to take the best suspension out there to control this spider. With this system having been tuned at the Nurburgring by people who race 105/115 cars....hey, that's good enough for me!!;) :D

Along with the springs, shocks and coilovers, there'll be a 30mm front sway bar as well (not pictured), to dial in the front. With multiple spring rates avalible, Ron's system trully delivers!!

streetfame

Attachments

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Unlike the varying spring-rates available on Ron's transaxle sets, the 105 sets come with a fixed-rate spring-setting.

It is conceivable that Ron will come up with additional spring-rates down the line however, for now they feel like they have a winning comb for the Spider/GTV/105 cars and the only options are adjustable or non-adjustable shocks...

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Early Christmas!!

Just received a set of '92 Spider tail lamps and middle bar!! I'm not a fan of the 91 "clear" lamps or white stripe ones as I feels they detract from the car.

These 92's are factory "rose" tinted and create a more elegant, mono-chromatic look for the rear end. Small detail. Yet impotant to me!!

As far as the engine is concerned - all testing and maping has been completed. It's presently now being crated for shipping to me this week and should arrive soon!!:D John has also informed me that the engine finished very strong - infact, right on top of his and Jes' 3.7 with no problems!!!:D :D

Meanwhile, I'm continuing to receive an array of goodies (big and small) to complete the build.

Stay tuned...

streetfame

Attachments

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Demon's Drivetrain!!

Here is a shot finally of the Demon's finished tranny from Santos Italian Car Service. Santo installed the OS Giken Close Ratio Gear Set in which all gears were forged, lightened and shot peened for extra strength. Finishing off the install were all new shafts, sleeves, bearings and syncros ect.

The bell housing that is seen attached to the trans will not be the one used in the final set-up. Instead, Joseph has provided me with a modified one including a custom plate adapter that now holds the starter.

The only other upgrade here will be the tranny support that will be swapped out for a more stable one.

Progress has been slow due to scheduling. However, things are gonna to pick up in about a couple weeks as we start the process of retrofitting...

streetfame

Attachments

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Streetfame,

Thought I would move our conversation to your thread. I have to know more about the Watts Link you got from Alfaholic's. I was looking at Performatek's but he has not had his installed on a Spider yet....just GTV's. I like Alfaholic's and have bought several suspension parts from them...........a very good company with lots of racing experience.

I heard that adding a watts link is about the biggest improvement you can make for faster lap times. IMO a good idea for a fast street car too. You have to post pictures of the install for us!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Watts the Deal?

Murray,

Basically, I'm modding the Demon for the most power and best possible handelling for the street and track combined. But hey, let's be real here. There's no way I'd put this kind of power in a non-dedicated track car and not let it out on the streets....you know...every now and then!!:rolleyes: :D

As far as the Watts Link from Alfaholics is concerned - it's top shelf stuff as you already know. I spoke with Andy at Performatek before buying from Alfaholics and his kit IS avalible for the spider but has to be out-sourced and takes at least a month. Great guy and very knowledgable but I went with Alfaholics in the end as Ron from RSRacing would ship everything all together (Alfaholics Watts and RSRacing suspension) to make things easier. As well with all their racing history, avalibility of mods, R&D behind their products and quick replys to all my questions, I chose them. Nothing against Andy however. He carries a whole host of performance parts for Alfa Romeo and I highly recommend him.

I'll for sure take some shots of the install. As far as I know right now, I will have to switch the position of the emergency brake levers to make it work.

Performance wise with the Watts? Everything you'd want upgraded. Even within a street car...

Faster conering speeds
Faster corner exits
Lower rear roll center
Able to acheive far more traction out of the rear and plant all that power
No more rear axel shift under hard cornering
Reduce understeer

Here is a recent email I received from Max at Alfaholics...

Hi Michael,

I cannot comment on anyone elses Watts Link, but with ours it is not a problem to run a park brake by simply mounting the park brake levers the other way up so they point down, this is how Autodelta ran park brakes on the sliding block cars.

Regards,

Max

Oh man! I'm salivatin':eek: :eek:

streetfame

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I eagerly await pictures of the Watts link installation in a spider. If a Watts link can be installed, then, very likely, so can a Mumford, and that would be the ultimate. :p

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Update: My boat Has Arrived At G2 - Now Gimmie My Stuff!!

Thought I'd post the exact RSRacing Suspension that has now arrived at G2 for me!! John (JungleJustice) sent me these pics that now include the RSRacing 30mm front sway bar and bushings!!:cool:

Alfaholics Watts Link is on route and should arrive soon as well!!:D

Engine departed SA early this morning and should arrive around December 12-13th. Will post pics of the unwrapping in Toronto!!!

John and I are currently doing a joint venture with G2 to create a one-off BIG BRAKE KIT for the Demon Spider. Once I receive the engine and weigh the car, I'll send John the info to develop a system never before seen on a Series 4 Spider - A trully amazing, caculated and performance driven system!!:D:eek::D

Stay tuned...

Update: Suspension arrived today - Dec. 12th

streetfame

Attachments

41 - 60 of 4901 Posts