Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 4898 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm back!! Several months ago i ended a thread due to repeated delays and total frustration. I ended up dumping the original parts and crew, regrouped, and am now back with a vengence:cool: :D

Since then i've assembled a team just as dedicated as i am to bring my spider to fruition. Not only that, but everything has gone up several notches. The beast that will be powering my spider now will be one very, very nasty..

164 based
3.7 Litre
24 Valve
V6 Monster

Here are some highlights:

Brand-new, long-stroke, 3.2 litre 156/147 GTA crank and bearings
6 indivdual throttle boddies
GoTech PRO fully-programmable, stand-alone engine management system
Ross Racing aluminium-alloy pistons...ect

That power plant will result in just over 300 HP at the wheels!!:eek: :eek:

No bulges, extra vents or flares!! Nothing to give away all that power. Mated to that beast will be the 5 speed, 105 tranny - laced up with all new internals including close ratio and lightened gears (shafts, syncros..everything new) Then finishing off with the taller rear end of the automatic spider.

All the torque is going to be incredible and avalible down low in the rev range. Therefore, major body supports will be in place to keep it straight.

Thanks to "junglejustice" aka John at Glenwood Motors out of South Africa. The time you spent on the phone with me going over all my options, quick email replys and outstanding development of my engine was second to none. Respect bro:rolleyes:

This bad boy is slated to be completed for spring 07. There will be more mods to come and I'll be updating this thread as more work develops for all interested.

Regards,

streetfame

Attachments

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Michael, thanks for the kind words - I do what I can....

Tis is going to be one sweet Spider; Tis the season....:D

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
07 Brah!

V6 GTJ said:
My money is on Spring 08!!!!!!!!!
All the best ....V6GTJ.........
V6GTJ,

I hear the joke brah! But i've been through so much crap over the last little while that nothing is going to stand in my way of getting this spider done for spring 2007. My team now is unstoppable:

John and Dawie at Glenwood Motors (over 30 years building/designing performance alfa race engines)

Joseph at Hamiltion Auto (who has successfully installed a twin turbo 3.0 V6 in a S3 - 2 years ago and not a glitch since)

and

Frank at Center Hill Paint and Body in Toronto (over 35 years of splashing n' moulding alfa's)

Trust me...It's on!!! Bleedat!:D :eek: :D

Thanks for the encouragement. All the best to you as well!!

Regards,

streetfame

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Rings Of Fire!!!

87Sprint said:
be sure to post lots of photos! thats going to be a crazy convertible :D
87 Sprint,

Thanks for the encouragement as well. Good luck to you as well on your project!
I'll post what I can as more work continues. Until then, here are some more pics to drool over just as I did.:eek: Just check out the steel ring fire-seal setup that Dawie pioneered many moons ago:eek:Whoa:eek:

Regards,

streetfame

Attachments

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Count me in - I've always wondered what the esteemed Mr. van Rensburg and his band of elves could bring to life given a full head of steam - now we shall see!

Still - shoulda gone w/ megasquirt. It is the paradigm of the future.

Oh well, Go-tech will work, I guess.

And that engine is SICK :eek: :p :D

How does the fire-seal work?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Randy! I still owe you a phone call - me thinks...? No? When are you coming up, or is that off now...?

Any way, learned a great myself the last few years.... It is all about processing speed! Drove 3 cars on this trip with the new 44mhz processor GoTech Pro-X box - WOW! What a difference....

It is all about processing speed - how fast can that little man inside of the ECU yell-out throttle position orders from the TPS AND, as the accelerator is depressed even more progressively, how fast can that same worker repeat updates!? Then, how fast can the other little guys passing out fuel and spark respond and as the demand from said first little guy increases progressively, how fast can they react - are they only just now passing out orders/fuel/spark in response to old requests or are they keeping up with what's happening all around them....?

Multiply those orders coming in from the Lambda, water temp, air temp, boost, rpm, load, vacuum etc and by the way - will the MS do this every .5 rpm...?

That is where the smoothness comes in. Our GTA runs as if it is the stock electronics are in there! Smooth, without a glitch and the throttle response is unbelievable... It MAKES power! Period.

Many of the other systems out there still run 4mhz, 8mhz and 16mhz processors.... What does the MS run?

MS models until recently DO NOT handle spark - only fuel - you have to run a separate ignition module - one can only attempt to compare that with a fully integrated programmable fuel AND spark stand-alone system. The differences show up in the drive...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Watching with much intrest. Keep the detailed pics coming!!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
show-you-right!

smestas said:
Ohhhhh YES!!

I'm subscribed to this thread now. Cant wait for the next post.
Thanks Simon! Doin' my best for the beast! Feels real good to breathe again on a new thread. Welcome to my spider's "darkside":D That previous engine just didn't have the pimp factor these Glenwood ones do...

Holla,

streetfame

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
randyleepublic said:
Count me in - I've always wondered what the esteemed Mr. van Rensburg and his band of elves could bring to life given a full head of steam - now we shall see!

Still - shoulda gone w/ megasquirt. It is the paradigm of the future.

Oh well, Go-tech will work, I guess.

And that engine is SICK :eek: :p :D

How does the fire-seal work?
Randy,

Don't want to turn this thread into another mega squirt vs the world thread so i'll let John handel that one;)

Once explained to me...Go-Tech felt like the better one for THIS engine...

Word on the street in South Africa is that Dawie has an entire colony of midget elves about 6 inches tall busily working away on a few monsters at any given time:p ....John is just one of the taller ones...:D

Holla,

streetfame

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Megasquirtwise, I'm done for here and now. Promise.

So, when she's all pimpomatic, will we be seeing you at the Concorso?????

(5 ?s means you must say "OK" :D )

I just want to hear the sound of the trumpets. :p

Plus see you shame a Lambo or two...

Best,

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cougarchee said:
Watching with much intrest. Keep the detailed pics coming!!
Keep those eyes peeled...I've got a few surprizes. So as i've said in the 3.0L into my 91 spider thread...

"...i think that this would be a more interesting thread, if i showed what was being done, rather than just talk about it..."

I don't want anyone on here thinking i'm just yappin' about a to-do wish list. What i mention, I either have presently or is presently being worked on.

Hey Johnny,

You gotta post up here that shot with those pimpin' yellow shoes. Here, i've got a pair i've only worn 5 times in three years cause they're so fly!! Won't even think of driving with them. Those pedels would mash up the white top "quick-fast":eek: So, quit readin' this and post that pic:D

To all the present subscribers to this thread...my bad for postin' the shoes. But when Johnny posts "that pic".....:D....you'll see what i mean...:D

Holla,

streetfame

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
Nice, but this engine is supposed to go into your 91 spider? A 12 valve BARELY fits in the engine bay how is a 24 valve going to fit? How are you going to mate the 105 tranny to the v6 engine? I know hans in atlanta and Nick in California who are master mechanics and they don't recommend using 105 trannys (to weak). They either use a maserati biturbo trans or a trans from a alfa six.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
?

Berlinista said:
awesome, but only 300 HP? Here in Holland is a guy who really had 452 Horses (crank) on the water dyno with his 3.5 24V...
seeining as how advanced your engine will be, will it be (I know..) 'only'be 300 HP?
3.5L 24V V6 w/425 HP at the crank. non-aspirated?....Not a chance. Sorry bro. You have been mis-informed.

streetfame

1 - 20 of 4898 Posts