Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Easiest way to get new oil into the gearbox and diff is with a hose, a funnel, gravity, and a helper. Home Depot sells clear vinyl hose, one end of which you'll hold into the filler opening, after snaking it down through the engine bay or rear wheel well. Have your helper pour the new oil through a funnel into the top end of the tube.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Any auto parts store should have a suitable hand pump. I've got one made by Valvoline which screws into the top of an oil bottle. ~100 strokes/quart, though, so it's tedious. Just used it a few weeks ago to fill the gearbox on my 350Z.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,543 Posts
my one man method is one of those fluid hand pumps that screw onto the container but never do because the container the oil comes in isn't the right size so the top gets cut off to get the pump in. This is way to easy to make a joke about.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Or if you want enough room to swing a cat while doing the task, you can knock the rubber drain plug out of the spare tire well, run a hose from fill plug up through said drain plug hole and from there play with funnels or bottles or pumps or whatever while not laying underneath watching yourself put more on the ground than in the 'box then pop the plug back in when done :)

The bianchi1 says it'll work anyway, and I agree.

·
Administrator
17,370 Posts
It may be fine or it may be ruined. Depends on how long it was that low. And why. Did it slowly leak out over 10 years or gush out one day?

I'd refill it, drive it a few hundred miles and then change it again. That will help flush it out if there has been any badness inside. Watch for leaks, listen for bad noises.

and check the oil level more often...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
If you have a compressor, you can put a hose on the filler of the oil bottle, poke a hole in the top of the oil container and put a SMALL amount of air pressure into the oil container to "blow" the oil out of the container.

too much pressure and you will have an oil gusher!!!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'd refill it, drive it a few hundred miles and then change it again. That will help flush it out if there has been any badness inside. Watch for leaks, listen for bad noises. and check the oil level more often...
I agree with Eric on this one. One of our local Spider owners drove his Spider with a replacement rearend down to the Shell station to get grease - dry!
The aluminum rearend casing exploded because the teeth hit teeth. Metal on metal, not Metal-on-Grease-on-Metal. I had to clean the mess up and get the guy back on the road with a good rearend. A little grease can be enough to do the job of lubrication but not carry the heat away like a full Differential case. i'd say if you hurt anything it was the limited slip. Only time will tell. Fill it up with new grease and drive it. You'll find out in time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Changed the used transmission, used engine, and the used differentials oil today. The rear end has been making noise at higher speeds and goes away on deceleration. When I drained the differential oil only about a cup came out....not good since it should hold much more.

I haven't had a chance to drive the car yet since I need to get a pump or something to get fluid in the transmission. What are the chances the rear end will be quieter with the fluid change?

Hope there's no damage!
First, good start mate. More on 90% is the chance. Good luck to you mate.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Boy you guys complicate things. Stand the oil bottles in hot water for 30 mins and it will squirt staight in in 20secs use the std plastic pipe on top of the bottle. Going back to sleep now! Zzzzzzzzzzzz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts