Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised, see the following link for onboard video of a lap of the Nordschleife with me in my GTA Replica! The couple of missing sections are to edit out other peoples crashes on the lap - a little respect for those unfortunate people!

My web report of our 105 group weekend is here with all the photos! http://www.alfaholics.com/news/document_75_7.php

Hope you enjoy!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Not only does the car rock, but your driving aint too shabby either:cool:

Nice!

Paul

·
Registered
36 Posts
Awsome Max.......I loved seeing you pass that Lancer like he was looking for parking!!

Steven

:D

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
ah yes, very nice. :)
no problem finding your way around the track I see.

You cut away 5 seconds before Hatzenbach? Embarassing moment for the Aston (?) driver? ;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ah yes, very nice. :)
no problem finding your way around the track I see.

You cut away 5 seconds before Hatzenbach? Embarassing moment for the Aston (?) driver? ;)
Yes we cut out the bits where people had accidents - can't remember now but the one before Hatzenbach was a big one! Even with the very bad traffic and a couple of short cut out sections, the video is still an 8m33sec bridge to gantry, its so difficult to estimate a flat lap on a public day, but its got to be mid 8mins somewhere. Just wish I could take my race car there - that would be a whole nother ball game! Those Toyo Proxes T1R really were terrible! Maybe one day..... :D

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
!!!! Very nice. You made fairly quick work of some nice modern equipment out there. A fine sample of driving as well!

Thanks you very much for sharing!

Sprintn

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Max,

Did you and other GTA/105/115 owners drive to the Ring from UK ? Or did you trailer your car there? I think I saw in another thread a few of your from various parts of europe driving to the ring, but I could have been mistaken.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great driving!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We all drove there from the UK except 1 car who had a particularly short axle ratio so wanted to trailer his out. It is a 1500 mile round trip including 15 or so laps out there (over 2 hours on track!) and dependant where in the UK you live. for our european guys it was a shorter journey. I think its important to drive the cars rather than trailer them as its why we all own them - to enjoy them AND drive them. With the new setups we are running on these cars it really is 100% achieveable to build a dual purpose car that is relatively uncompromised either way - completely driveable for long distances and then bullet proof and rapid on track!

With all these Ring trips I have been doing, I have just noticed that I have now done 20,000 miles in my car in 2.5 summers - poor car, she has had a pasting! :D

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Max,

Looked at your report on the trip. Fantastic! I wonder how much it would cost to ship my car to Rotterdam from SF and drive it to the Ring. I could rent RSR's 75, but it's not going to be the same as driving my own.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Yes we cut out the bits where people had accidents - can't remember now but the one before Hatzenbach was a big one! Even with the very bad traffic and a couple of short cut out sections, the video is still an 8m33sec bridge to gantry, its so difficult to estimate a flat lap on a public day, but its got to be mid 8mins somewhere. Just wish I could take my race car there - that would be a whole nother ball game! Those Toyo Proxes T1R really were terrible! Maybe one day..... :D
T1R?? wow, I at least thought you were running "R" compound tires. :eek:
Did my first laps on the ring this May and on my last lap of the day I got a totally clean lap, didn't actually even see another vehicle. Turned out to be 9.29 BTG in one of Rons cars (TSpark), my tenth lap or something like that. I was pretty pleased. :)
Maybe I'll see you there sometime, I have an evil plan putting together a NS-type car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just my Trackday/Mild Race Blue Kit with FIA 2 1/4" front upgrade and set of Bilsteins. All suspension linkages are standard inc. T-bar.

I am always very keen to run just a full road tyre on a trackday car, a)I think its cheating really to use a racing tyre b)It makes for a far more entertaining lap c)The chances of rain on the journey or once out there make a racing radial a big gamble d)the moderns get even more pissed off/amazed when they come and see you after the lap to see just a set of bog standard road tyres on the car!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
p.s. my analysis on thre Toyos:- Good mid corner lateral grip (as good as any Bridgestone I have driven), fair traction but terrible in light corners and changing direction - any I mean terrible - worse than anything else I have ever driven! I believe there were 2 problems causing this, very soft side walls being the major player here - the construction was simply not stiff enough to keep the tyre upright and led to a lot of squirming and a feeling of the car being attached to the road by jelly. The other is the overly vaned tread pattern - great for the wet, but in the dry they tore themselves to shreads, at the ends of laps whole sections were tearing off the tyre! I'm now back on Bridgestones - this time trying Potenza S02 Pole Positions - much stiffer construction so the car is far more stable, but I have yet to find the ultimate lateral grip or traction yet in the short mileage I have completed. I hope they will come good, otherwise I'll be back to my old favorite again - RE720!

·
Registered
138 Posts
...huh, what a ride! :cool:
thanx Max! ...now i will enjoy it 10 more times:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts