Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anybody here is familiar with the UK's Top Gear, I think you'll get quite a laugh out of
if you haven't seen it already. It's an 'in period' appearance of the 164 on Top Gear in 1989.

The differences to today's Top Gear programme could hardly be more pronounced.

Back then, the programme obviously followed a 'consumer-information' format. I loved the rat-a-tat delivery of the opening presenter (standing atop a motorway bridge), speaking in what I think of as the Sergeant-Major accent. Then we have the very matter-of-fact review by Chris Goffey, in which he introduces the Lancia by mentioning the six-year anti-corrosion warranty (subtlety is the name of the game) and goes on to highlight some of the annoying shortfalls of the more-expensive Saab (the turbo lag, and the poorly-matched automatic), sings the praises of the Alfa and the Lancia, and then flatly chooses the Saab out of the three... no, I don't know why either.

These days it's Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May, basically "arsing about in cars". The studio audience makes it into basically a talk-show. If they do review cars in a comparison test, the final conclusion is usually long and painful, involving arguments and (in one memorable case) the persuasion of a Scottish Art Gallery to feature one of the three cars as an object of design (they chose the Alfa Romeo Brera, by the way).

For instance, you can see a 'review' of the 166 at
. It involves a look around a coal miner's village, and walking on broken glass. Objectively, neither of these have anything at all to do with the 166, but that's Jeremy Clarkson for you.

Each of the three presenters bring their own personality to the programme, and the 'challenges' that they get involved in ("How hard can it be?") are tremendously funny, and seemingly generously-funded. They also fly in the face of political correctness. There's a strong celebrity component, even though Jeremy seems to do his best to lose as many friends as possible due to his constant snipes at environmentalists and Americans...

But if anything, I think it makes the old format all the more funny, particularly the obvious technical deficiencies of the 'old days', with things like the camera shake inside the cars.

Cheers,
-Alex

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I am an avid top gear fan, love the show, and have to say I like the new format better. Jeremy Clarkson really makes the show, hence when he left the original top gear went down the tubes, and then 5th gear was born. The current season is good, they are starting to get back to their roots a bit more, less challenges etc. which got a little old to watch after a while. The 166 video is one of my favorites, you can tell that Clarkson really loves the car, and the music in the back ground adds to the drama. Anyhow, still a great show, too bad its not on mainstream TV in this country, I think it would do rather well

·
Registered
503 Posts
i love bbc america --- and have top gear set to record on my dvr :D
the most recent one where they drove 1k junkers through the deep south was hilarious.... espeicaly when you see clarkson have a cow strapped to his camaro...... its a must see...

·
Registered
197 Posts
i love bbc america --- and have top gear set to record on my dvr :D
the most recent one where they drove 1k junkers through the deep south was hilarious.... espeicaly when you see clarkson have a cow strapped to his camaro...... its a must see...
That was a funny episode but that show is from the last series which viewed in the UK in early January to late February or early March. The new series has had 2 episodes so far which started 3 weeks ago in the UK. I download the episodes in the TV Shows section at Download music, movies, games, software! The Pirate Bay - The worlds largest BitTorrent tracker web site. Top Gear is the most watched car related show in the world.

·
Registered
852 Posts
There is a review done by jeremy clarkson back in those days where he tries to find the best car for the money while keeping the insurance costs low and having good looks and decent performance. At last he picks Alfa Romeo 164, it should be somewhere on youtube. Will post the link if I come across again.

-Pavan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
soo my favorite show

Glad you wrote this up Alex. Many times I've wanted to share these shows with our board members that happen to be in the US.. Even the shows they do get on the air here are edited.

Mannn.. I live for this show.. the cars, cinematography and music mix is top notch (often songs that have yet to even hear main stream ears, especially here). I'm in awe in every show. For example of the cinematography, the show where they tested the Pagani Zonda, a Ford GT, and a Ferrari F430 across France in the three aforementioned supercars to reach the Millau Viaduct (Season 7 Ep. 3). ooo and the one of the more recent shows :D Where Jeremy drove a Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera, Richard a Porsche 911 GT3 RS and James an Aston Martin V8 Vantage N24 through three/four countries to find the best driving road in the world (Season 10 ep 1). The nature/car shots were spectacular.

Alex, did you see the ep. where they tried caravanning lol.. ended up burning the RV down? Laughed for 20 mins from that show lol

The official (well un-official torrent;) release web site for all the top gear and the fifth gear shows is:
FinalGear

Please feel free to email if you need help getting the shows. Have all the seasons.

Can't wait, day and a half until next show! :D

Damon
MN, US

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Glad you wrote this up Alex. Many times I've wanted to share these shows with our board members that happen to be in the US.. Even the shows they do get on the air here are edited.

Mannn.. I live for this show.. the cars, cinematography and music mix is top notch (often songs that have yet to even hear main stream ears, especially here). I'm in awe in every show.
Thanks Damon!
Though actually, I was trying to focus on that 'vintage' episode where they tested the 164, rather than on the recent/current episodes that are so different... I wonder if anyone who has viewed this thread actually went to look at the YouTube clip that I linked first... ;)

We get Top Gear on TV here, but on some strange schedule that shows part of a series six months behind the UK, then parts of several series (often several years old), and then the next part of the 'new' series, etc.

In terms of consumer information, I think the new Top Gear is pretty useless, but in terms of entertainment, I agree - it's fantastic :)

I like the challenges most, and yes I did see the burning-down-the-caravan one, though I think my favourite was the boating episode. Each presenter definitely carried it off in their own ways - James May the gentleman, Richard Hammond the country larrikin, and Jeremy Clarkson the power-obsessed. It has my favourite quote ever from Jeremy: "I was grateful, when I saw the waterline, I'd insisted on only having one engine".

Of course you have to have seen that episode for it to make sense! How lucky then that I found
and
and

-Alex

·
Premium Member
15,522 Posts
I do think the show can be pretty funny at times (my wife and I really had a laugh at the burning caravan episode), and while I can easily take a joke, I do get tired of Clarkson's anti-american quips sometimes. Generally he acts as if he just doesn't have a clue.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Got tht old link atlast... check
at 6:30 time stamp...." the car's that is more practical and fun to drive, the Alfa Romeo 164TS"

-Pavan

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got tht old link atlast... check this at 6:30 time stamp...." the car's that is more practical and fun to drive, the Alfa Romeo 164TS"

-Pavan
Now THAT'S more in the spirit of this thread! :D

That was very funny - Jeremy Clarkson, severely restrained by the old show format (even the accent sounds more guarded and considered, and definitely more hair and fewer wrinkles), "you don't really want to see in the boot, do you?"

And, the trademark Clarkson last-minute irrational decision that was probably part of what kicked him off the show...

Top find Pavan! ;) Thanks!
Even if we do happen to sign our names the same way...

-Alex

·
Registered
776 Posts
I do think the show can be pretty funny at times (my wife and I really had a laugh at the burning caravan episode), and while I can easily take a joke, I do get tired of Clarkson's anti-american quips sometimes. Generally he acts as if he just doesn't have a clue.
I agree, the anti-American quips get old. Also agree that the have just no clue when it comes to America/Americans. And why can't English people pronounce Camaro properly?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Loved the clip, Clarkson has only gotten better with time! It seems like 5th gear is more like the old top gear, and the new top gear is in a class of its own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts