Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, for the last 20+ years I defected to Lotus. I used to race a Fp Guila Spyder with some names familiar to you. As a member of the World Renowned Rubber Chicken Racing Team, I raced for third place behind the Huffaker cars and the Lime Green Sebring Guilleta Spyder driven by Jon Woodner, Jon Norman or Dan Marvin. I have always been a little different by racing a Guila Normale or putting a GTA Jr engine in my Lotus 23 sports racer. (I recently sold the 23. The new owner made a post of the car. You may have seen it.) I have a couple of TS engines coming from Italy soon. I also have '66 Guilia Sprint GT, a project '61 Sprint, a rust bucket '58 Spyder and a Lotus Super 7 with the frame hanging from the ceiling of my shop. The big question: which car gets a TS? Anyone ever made a conversion into 101 Sprint? The Lotus/Alfa combination worked before. Remember, I enjoy being different.
I do have a major problem with my health. I have recurrent prostate cancer, 72% of my heart left, 4 rods and 14 screws in my spine and Parkinson's Disease. I get around not being able to lift by being creative and utilizing a neighbor. I work a little and then rest a lot. If my timing of the Parkinson's meds is correct I can weld. Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself and to comment on the AlfaBB. It is great! I having been spending several hours each day reading the various forums. There's a whole new world out there!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Hello and welcome!! By now you know what an eclectic group we are ;^) !
Somewhere in the 'archives', I have a pic from Riverside Raceway (shows MY age!!) of a Giulietta Sprint with a rubber chicken and the ' Rubber Chicken Racing ' logo. Could that have been you??
Randy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
101/105 Guy,
Raced quite a number of times at Riverside and Santa Barbara. My car was either light blue or white. If it isn't me, it's H.B. Luginbuhl (Father Chicken) or Jere Brown. Won my first race at Riverside in my Lotus 23. Thanks for the memories!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I'll have to dig out the pic, but I believe that it was light blue!
Man, those were fun times!!! Those events motivated me to do some AROSC time trials in my '67 GTV.
Randy

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
used2b,
I have corresponded with the owner of your Lotus 23. Was curious as to why the GTAjr engine. I would think a 1300 Lotus TC would produce more HP than the Alfa.
One of the Bobsy's I sold to Denver had a 1300 Lotus put in it during it's restoration/rebuild.
Ed

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reply to emr5503

Ed, The choice of the GTA Jr was not the ultimate plan. I had raced an Fp Alfa for a number of years with a lot satisfaction except for the fact that the factory sponsored BMC cars and the Griswold Alfa were unbeatable on a school teacher's salary. I got my wins in Fp by going outside of the SF or SoCal Regions of SCCA. It was time for a change. I advertised my Alfa in Competition Press (Autoweek). After some negotiations I ended up selling my Alfa for cash and the GTA Jr engine to a gentleman from Indianapolis. We met in Phoenix where the NO had entered a SCCA race that weekend. He raced and won his class so he was a happy camper. I was happy because I had an Alfa engine that I could put in the 23 to make a legal C/SR. When I bought the 23 it had a non-cross flow Ford. I sold the engine to a gentleman with an Elva. The engine blew up during its first race. I created a dry sump system, built headers, lucked into Mk 8, 5-speed with LSD from Bob Winkleman, converted the rears from 6 bolt to 4 bolt and fitted 8" fronts and 10" rears. I started off racing the 23 with a 2nd and a 3rd in class. I next ran at Riverside, among 6 or 7 Lotus 23's. All of them had 1300 Twin Cams. Luckily Frank Monise (a perennial winner) dropped out of the race. I enjoyed my first victory lap at Riverside!! All of my races in the 23 which resulted in a finish, also resulted in a podium finish. I later won at Laguna Seca and had the pole at Sears Point, but had an electrical problem for a DNF. The combination of the car, the engine and the driver proved to be very competitive with the Ford 1300 TC engined cars.

Sorry to be so verbose in answering your questions, but I enjoyed the memories. Thank you for your interest.
Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts