Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you have read my post and the issue I have with the steering column. I wanted to start a new post as I am hoping to get as many eyes as possible. To catch you all up, I cannot turn the key. It would appear its the steering wheel lock mechanism. I have purchased a used column with a working ignition cylinder and key. It's just the metal outside of the column. I need help with replacing this piece.

Where I am so far... I have the column unbolted, the steering box loosened to drop the column to allow enough room for the column mounting bolt tabs to clear the dash, the steering wheel off, the electronics unbolted and out of the way. The column cover with the cylinder in it is indeed loose. It moves forward and back 1-2 inches or so. It APPEARS that there is a bearing or something a couple inches down around the shaft inside that is keeping the cover from sliding off. This is where I am stuck. Can I and how do I replace the column cover on this vehicle so that I can once again drive her?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I have made a bunch of progress. The cold column piece is out and the new one is now in place. To help others in my spot, you have to take out 2 of the 3 bolts that hold the steering box in place so the column have change angle enough to allow the column to clear the dash. Once you do that, you have more than enough room. In my case, my column cover would still not come all the way off. Because of the locked steering mechanism, I had to break away all of the old steering column (hammer and screwdrivers) shatter it all. In order to get the new cover over, you have to widen it by putting a screwdriver in the slot on the drivers side. It runs horizontally at the front, from front to back. A bolt goes thru it to pinch it closed. It would not allow the column cover to slip over the steering rod unless I pried it open.

Although the auction said my column came from a 1986, same as mine, there was a different connector coming out of the cylinder itself. The page one is the same, but the smaller harness, the one with two thinner wires is different. Took me a few minutes of looking for the female part to that connector without luck before I looked at my old and found I had no plastic connector coming off the old, just two individual wires. HERE IS WHERE I COULD USE SOME INFO. Like I said, my old harness had 2 smaller wires coming out of the column for the lock cylinder. One has a larger sad lug end which goes to a female connection in the car. The other is a smaller FEMALE end. I do not know where this one goes. Can anyone tell me?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
133 Views and NO responses? There are two harnesses that come out of the steering column for the ignition cylinder on my 86 Quad. One Big, and One with two thin wires. One of those thinner wires has a larger MALE spade lug and the other is a smaller FEMALE connector. Does anyone know where the FEMALE one goes?? Please?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric, you got it. The first picture is the two harnesses that come out of the ignition cylinder. The second picture shows the two wires I am referring to. I have the larger MALE wire sorted its the other one. Where does it go???

Attachments

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
could it be a connection for the key buzzer?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts