Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled my driveshaft, replaced the u-joints and center bearing, and had it balanced.

In the course of getting help here (and thank you!) I learned about a thing called "The Olive".

Being a literal reader, I assumed this to be an olive-shaped ball that fit into the bushing cup on the end of the driveshaft and against the the end of the transmission output shaft.

Finding nothing in the catalogs of the usual suspects, I gave one of them a call and asked if they had such a thing. Was told that most people (who have had their driveshafts off at one point or another) don't have them. However they had one in stock, if I wanted it. Expensive, I was warned. Cost $62.50.

I ordered one, since - hey, I'm in this deep why not do it right?

What I received is shown below....
Olive.jpg

Is THIS an olive? Since I had a good bushing cup on the end of the driveshaft, I returned it and, and they were very good about it.

The driveshaft and all the new components are since back on the car, but it still bugs me....

What should "an olive" look like? Do I REALLY need one? And, if so, where can I get one?

Thanks... now off to drink a couple of Gibsons....

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Click here to see a pic of what an olive should NOT look like.

The rear of the gearbox mainshaft is shaped like a ball (hence the term olive) and fits into the bushing that is in the front of the driveshaft. These keep the gearbox and driveshaft aligned. If either is worn, driveline vibration can occur.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Whenever I hear of an Italian or Greek female beauty described as
"olive skinned',
I think,"Isn't an olive Green??"

[okay, maybe SLIGHTLY off topic,,]

·
Registered
228 Posts
"olive skinned',

"olive skinned" is reffered not only for the exact color which might be green or black, but also for the feeling when you touch that skin! If you grew up eating/drinking olive oil for all of your life you have the impression that these skins simulating the velvet feeling of the olive oil. Maybe this is not just an impression but it is a real since drinking olive oil can have a huge effect in your skin . Oh...since here we had olive oil for thousand years back and it is something we can find it just by turn our head and long the hand, I tried -instead of any laquer- after sanding a wooden deck to apply just olive oil on ...Well, after 5 years now this table is in an amazing condition exactly like the day I applied the olive oil film! I'm touching the table and yes, really have this "olive skinned" feeling.

·
Super Moderator
12,309 Posts
Aggh! Jim beat me as usual. I prefer garlic olives anyway. In Wisconsin they are called SEX olives!

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The olive is a sorta-sphere on the end of the TX output shaft. Hard to miss. Fits in a bronze bushing that needs to be lubed a lot more often than it gets. See Papajam's linked pic for what happens when it doesn't get lubed.

Robert

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
"olive skinned',

hehe this poped in my head when I read that..
From the original Star Trek

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Aah. Actress Susan Olive r.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Is that the same Green lady that Mr Kirk enjoyed?

·
Registered
what part?
10,926 Posts
it must get really cold in wisconsin to call the 'sex olives'

·
Super Moderator
12,309 Posts
Cold sex olives. Right out of the fridge. Umm!

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Okay, I have the engine/transmission hanging over the engine bay, ready to drop into place. I assumed that I'd put a dab of grease on the olive and then mate everything up.

But then I read somewhere -- probably here on the bb -- that there is supposed to be a felt bit and a rubber cup associated with this mate-up. If so, what are these parts and where can I get them quickly? Can I just cut a bit of felt out of my wife's coat and forget the rubber thingy?

This post reminded me I might be missing something. I didn't see anything in the Alfa manual about these bits.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Larry

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The felt bit goes inside the drive shaft, soaked in lube. The rubber ring goes over the TX output shaft to keep dirt out of the grease well for the olive. Both important to keep the drive shaft centered (that's what the olive is for) and keep it from wearing.

You can always pull the drive shaft out later to add them. Any good thick piece of felt will do.

Robert

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks, Robert.

You've given me a lot of great advice so far. I'm headed out to the shop now to see if I have that rubber part. If so, I'll fabricate a belt bit and drop it in. Otherwise I'll start calling suppliers and place an order.

I did find the two parts depicted on an exploded view in the manual.

·
Registered
255 Posts
from the good old catalogue :)

Felt 13, Rubber 14 and bushing 12 (I seem to remember that the bushing is made of steel, not bronze, am I right ?)

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Turns out I indeed did have the rubber bit -- I had already installed it on the tailshaft. What troubles me is that I had forgotten that I had. This whole project -- more than a year as of last week -- has taken far too long.

As for the felt thingy, I didn't have to nip a chunk out of my wife's winter coat. In my shop I have a felt moving blanket that I use to cushion stuff that could be scratched -- such as a freshly varnished hatch cover for the boat. It's now missing a little piece of a corner.

My neighbor is coming over tomorrow morning to help me ease it into the car. Hope the Ljet works and it starts okay.

·
Super Moderator
12,309 Posts
Yes, the bushing is steel. Quite hard steel. I made up a batch for Dean Russell at Trail Auto, after my helper "Guido" accidentally used the last one he had.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts