Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought some nice NOS 5 1/2" inner Carello cursive headlamps (thanks Ben & John) for Bianca. And they seem to take a different bulb from the "later" (mid-60's+) H1 and/or H4 bulbs. (We already know there are two mounting systems - early "lug" like US, and later w/ "tabs".)

My friend Ben has said they are called "bilux" bulbs and they predate halogen H4's. Similar size but a different mounting and reference method. Ben says that they sell H4 conversion bulbs to fit these lamp sockets. When were these non-halogen bulbs used on Alfas? The 50's and/or before? FYI.

#1 - referenced 5 1/2" headlamp with large hole
#2 - for comparison, an H4 bulb and socket
#3 - for reference, a 5 1/2" inner driving light with small H1 bulb
#4 - the halogen replacement H4 for a bilux socket shown in #1

PS: at this point, since the new 5 1/2" bulbs are bi-filament, I could have 4 dipped/low beam lights and 4 driving light beams (the latter is standard on a 4 headlamp Giulia). Time for relays.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I could only guess that Daniel Stern will be able to set you straight. He responded to my inquiry in literally minutes time - contact him thru his website.

·
Registered
759 Posts
This isn't definitive, of course, but my August '65 production GT came from the factory with Carello headlamps that use the "bilux" incandescent bulb to which you're referring, so they were in use until then at least.

I found some adapters that let me use normal H4 halogen bulbs in place of the bilux bulbs. The modified H4s in your picture #4 seem like a better solution, but not sure how easy they are to find.

Pictured are some yellow bilux bulbs, for reference.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The modified Bilux --> H1 or H4 bulbs are apparently readily available in Europe as a conversion for the older bulbs, or so I am told. I have a few coming over. Some in 55/60 and a set in 85/90. Those will need relays.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts