Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm making progress on the wiring mess on my '83. Looks like a mouse or something got to this car (though there's no evidence of infestation apart from the damaged wiring, and no smell or anything). A previous owner made the bone-headed decision to "fix" all the damaged wires with whatever sort of plastic TEMPORARY connectors he could find.....also he apparently didn't want to take the dash out, so there are HUGE lengths of scrap wiring going between the cut ends of wires, through the firewall.

ANYWAY, my fuel pump circuit has always been weird (seems to be a short somewhere) and today I unwrapped the small wire bundle in the engine bay that comes from the driver's side of the firewall then makes a right and travels most of the width of the firewall, then splits off to various areas and includes the wire for the fuel pump (where the inertia switch goes). It looks like some insulation has melted here:

http://www.theplaceofcoolness.com/pics/alfa/badwire1.jpg

Here's a closer view:

http://www.theplaceofcoolness.com/pics/alfa/badwire2.jpg

What I'm not sure about is whether or not that red rubbery section is in fact insulation from a wire that's been shorted, or just an extra thick sleeve for the wires passing through this area to protect them from engine heat. Could anyone provide some insight here?

I'm really hoping I find my short in this line, but we'll see. If it's not here, then it's pretty much gotta be in the pump line where it comes from the dash and runs under the passenger-side carpet because I've checked pretty much every other section of that circuit.

·
Administrator
16,624 Posts
Whatever the reason that is ugly!

I suspect that trying to replace individual wires here & there will cost you more in time and aggravation than buying a good used wire harness and replacing the whole thing. I've seen wire harnesses on eBay (usually 'RezDoc' whose reputation is variable...) but I'd suggest a call to Alfa Parts Exchange and see what they got.

·
Premium Member
21,356 Posts
That looks like it was a fairly sizable bundle, meaning it likely had multiple wires in it. I agree with the above advice, especially if wires are burned completely through and/or multiple wires have burned together or disappeared so that you are unable to trace where they go.

I can look at this buncle on my 89 Spider to see if I can tell where they're headed.

Andrew

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it's ugly!!! :p I shudda mentioned that the wires going through there appear intact. Incidentally, the only electrical problems the car has are the fuel pump problem, and the two squirrel-cage A/C fans on the passenger side don't work. The worst of that burnt insulation seems to have been used to bundle all the wires together perhaps....wonder if some of the A/C fan stuff is in there and that's why I don't have all the fans? Though I haven't found any burnt or broken/unconnected wires around the engine bay, and only one cut wire under the dash (looks to be a ground wire, at least it's black). Here's a better pic:

http://www.theplaceofcoolness.com/pics/alfa/badwire_red.jpg

It seems to be almost like double-insulation over that red wire.

Andrew, ya if you could have a look and give me a quick run-down on what wires go through that harness and where they go, that would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
21,356 Posts
One of the problems here is that the wiring diagrams are now so complex they're broken up into mini-diagrams on separate systems, so you can't easily trace the whole. At least that's what I've seen in the IAP factory reprint manual, which has wiring diagrams.

On the older cars (74 and earlier), the wiring was relatively simple, and the stylized diagram with colors listed made it pretty easy to trace down this kind of thing. I solved a short in a Berlina this way, through the big bundle going up to the headlights, turn signals, and engine controls.

Andrew

·
Administrator
16,624 Posts
One of the problems here is that the wiring diagrams are now so complex they're broken up into mini-diagrams on separate systems, so you can't easily trace the whole. At least that's what I've seen in the IAP factory reprint manual, which has wiring diagrams.
Contact BB member PapaJam (send a PM) ask him for a copy of his excellent color-coded wire diagrams. He'll email you a .pdf file and ask (suggest, actually) you make a donation to the BB. The wire diagrams are well worth it!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
digikey has the .250 spade connectors that alfa use a lot.
and most of the shells
if you need Jr.timmer plugs (like go on the injectors) try the VEMS webshop

go to the local surplus store and pick up some nice Teflon wire. in the right colors

as a rule you can find a good selection at the surplus stores and at a good price. The Teflon is great it will not melt even if it touched the exhaust manifold.
the surplus stores might have a lot of the other stuff you need as well like the armer that goes over the wires etc.
also get a crimper for the connectors. I got one local for about $35 it is a must have.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,356 Posts
I'm afraid my look at my car won't be much help. I can't tell where the wires from the bundles that run across the back of the engine cmpt go, because they mostly peel off to other bundles, or go through bulkheads. There is a large red wire, in a black plastic sleeve by itself, that goes from a terminal on the rear-most relay on the pass side to a fuse fitting, right next to the terminal block just in front of the clutch MC on the driver's side. The it jumps into the terminal block with a bunch of others.

Sorry not to be of more help; a good wire diagram, if a complete one is available, would be best.

Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts