Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, there was a discussion re: the three transmission/shifter boots - and the clamping sequence necessary to prevent fluid leaks. Our favorite Uncle posted the following excellent description of this process:
"... The 6mm clamp fits after the primary (Smallest on the shift lever) bellows is slipped over the tower and the intermediate boot 1493.90.066 is slipped over the primary, then the pictured clamp, then the metal funnel, then the outer bellows and another clamp on the top of the funnel. The intermediate boot will harden to a rock like consistency over time as it is a plasticized rubber compound. I have seen them offered new by some vendors recently when before they were not available. Repeating the steps for clarity--- A) slip the primary bellows on the shift rod and snuggle it to the shift tower; B) slde the intermediate boot over it and the tower, the one that is bolted to the tunnel under the funnel flange C) clamp both to the tower with ONE clamp as pictured in the next post D) screw funnel in place on top of the intermediate boot E) slide on large bellows after removing shift knob and clamp to funnel.. In summary there are only two clamps...Technically, the clamp on only the primary bellows should work fine with the intermediate boot riding on it as the intermediate is primarily there to keep out fumes and water and road kill from coming into the ****pit. The neck might have some interference from the clamp on the primary but it should serve it's purpose."

My question: I have the two original Alfa lever/spring clamps. When I tore my Giulia Spider down during the restoration process, I found: A) The smallest boot was clamped (with the small diameter clamp) to the aluminum transmission tower, and B) the intermediate boot was slipped over that (not clamped) and secured under the metal funnel, to the transmission tunnel. Then C), the outer, large diameter boot was clamped (with the larger diameter clamp) to the top of the funnel.

The small diameter clamp's diameter is not large enough to clamp BOTH the small boot and the intermediate boot together on the trans tower. Am I misunderstanding the process, or do I need a larger diameter clamp to secure both boots to the trans tower?

As aways, the braintrust of this forum is priceless. Thanks in advance!

Jim in rainy Coralville, Iowa

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dang! To my embarrasment, my burgeoning senility is confirmed! I did another search on the forums to see if my boot question had been addressed earlier. Yeah, there were a number of threads - including the one I mentioned in my question to the forum, and one I had initiated a few months ago, which had been answered by none other than Gordon Raymond (and others). So pardon my redundancy - and now I'll go take my meds.

Jim - Red faced in Coralville.

·
Super Moderator
12,328 Posts
Jim,
It's ALWAYS best to ask!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts