Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The older display format seems to have disappeared today when I pull up the BB. Was this on purpose, and how do I get it back?

·
Premium Member
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know exactly how to do that. Just tell me the option that allows me to change it back. Can't find it now like I did way back when the system was changed. All I see is the option for the dark mode.

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
Del, I'm not sure if you're aware that the BB software platform changed a while ago from vBulletin to XenForo (specifically, in Nov-2019, see this thread) -- and with that change came, due to different functionality, a new layout, and so, what was known on the old system as skins had to change as well (or disappeared, if you wish). By the same token, many (many!) bugs and problems disappeared thanks to the change.

Yes, it may take a moment to get used to the new look (the same way it takes time when Alfa logos change) but I've come to believe the new system is much faster, much more stable and much more useful on a variety of platforms (ranging from modern smart phones to to tablets to new and old PCs and/or Macs).

·
Premium Member
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I'm aware of that. What I'm talking about is when they changed this new system to a newer different look, and you had the opportunity to retain the original version/look of the new system. I did change the newer looking format back to the original version of the new system. Now, it is different, seemingly back to the newer format of the new system. I can no longer find the option. Just large white rectangles with rounded corners.

BTW, using tiny smart phone icons instead of words does make it less user friendly, IMO, but that's another subject.

·
Premium Member
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know all about that option, not what I was talking about. Oh well. We are just slaves to the programmers.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
No, I'm aware of that. What I'm talking about is when they changed this new system to a newer different look, and you had the opportunity to retain the original version/look of the new system. I did change the newer looking format back to the original version of the new system. Now, it is different, seemingly back to the newer format of the new system. I can no longer find the option. Just large white rectangles with rounded corners.
Del:

A few people have chimed in, but it sounds like none of us can picture what you are referring to. I know you've been contributing to the BB since the transition to XenForo took place, so obviously you are aware of that. And you say you are aware of "light mode / dark mode". It sounds like you are describing some way XenForo could emulate the user interface of vBulletin, but I'm 99.9% certain that feature was never offered. Beyond that, I'm puzzled what you'd like to change back to, or where the button was that allowed this change.

Is it possible that your browser has changed, you're working on a phone, or that whatever it is that you are seeing has been caused by something else unique to you?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Premium Member
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yea, you are correct. I am just not all that fluent in even some of the more basic skills with computers. I was more of a hands on engineer, or using only huge mainframe stuff for stuff like finite element analysis, not laptop stuff like my wife, who with her PHD in Physics is very fluent. I'll have to give it a try.

Sorry, I can't be of more help in my question, as I do remember being given the option to change back to a different more original display with the new system. When I turned on the BB this morning, the first thing I realized was that everything looked different. I've been watching episodes of the Twilight Zone now, so maybe this whole thing is all about that, lol.

·
Premium Member
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
427 Posts
Del, I had the same thing happen. It switched from the original format to putting the posts in those sort of bubbles instead.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Del, I had the same thing happen. It switched from the original format to putting the posts in those sort of bubbles instead.
Del's screen shot in post #13 is what the BB has looked like for the past year plus. I'm not getting what you mean by "the original format".

Is it possible that you are now displaying threads sorted by when they were last updated, because you have clicked the "NEW" button on the upper RH corner of the screen? Were you used to seeing a list of forum titles, which is what you get when you click on the five horizontal lines to the right of the "NEW" button?

Beyond that, I'm stumped.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The posts weren't always surrounded by the grey backgrounds before, they were the same colour as the overall background of whatever theme you were on so the posts didn't really stand out as much. I think whoever made XenForo got rid of the option to change it though, so now we can't go back and take a screenshot. It's like that on all the forums that use XenForo now as well. I might have one picture of what it looked like before but I'll have to look for it.

·
Premium Member
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's my impression as well. I sincerely don't think I am dreaming this change up. However, I can stand the change. Don't have any choice. Infinitely less important or terrible than what has been happening nationwide in the last couple of days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts