Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a minor thing in the grand scheme of things. I’ve noticed in the last year an increase in people responding to for sale ads that are many years old. Would there be some way to automatically lock for sale ads after x number of years?

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Right, after seven or ten years the item probably isn't available. Maybe mark it "Thread Closed" after 2 years?

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
If the seller of parts would edit their advert as part sold then there would no further interest in the ad.

Ken

Reactions: divotandtralee

·
Super Moderator
10,771 Posts
kengta said:
If the seller of parts would edit their advert as part sold then there would no further interest in the ad.
Yes, that would be the ideal. Better still, the person who created the "for sale" thread could report their own thread, asking the moderators to delete it.

In general, we moderators are reluctant to delete a thread without the permission of the person who posted it (unless it's offensive, off-color, etc.). Yes, we could first contact the people who tried selling something X months ago and ask if they're done yet. But I predict that the response rate would be low.

vintagemilano: How long do you think that "for sale" threads should remain active? 12 months, say? How about "parts/cars wanted" threads? Should they have a lifespan as well?

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I would like that ads not be deleted because as a sometimes seller and buyer I sometimes do a search to determine the lay of the land, to determine a battle plan as it were.

Ken

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My own personal opinion.... if there were someway after 24 months inactivity, some things might just take a while.... to just lock the thread, then if someone really wanted to chase it 5, 7, 10 years later they could still pm the OP.
I figure with the 24 month window the OP would still likely exist on the BB, more than that I’m thinking for the general subscriber it’s a coin toss.
It’s just something I’ve noticed cropping up, though I would mention it. In no way am I advocating for more moderator work load. I was thinking more automatic, code based.

Cheers,

·
Super Moderator
10,771 Posts
I was thinking more automatic, code based.
Yes, it would be great if the moderators had a "configuration" screen for XenForo, where we could fill in the number of months before an inactive thread was deleted or frozen. Or, could select a section (say, "parts for sale") where threads would automatically be deleted or frozen X months after creation. But we're long way from getting that sort of feature built into XenForo.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
VINTAGE MILANO. I too have notice this happening of late and it seams to me this trend is cyclical. It happens from time to time, comes and goes and you as a relatively new member woul not have observed previous cycles. Why does it cycle. I think it relates to new members or new to Alfas.

I am in favour of doing nothing.

Ken

·
Registered
962 Posts
For sale adds have historical significance, they contain information be it reference materials, personal stories and questions all which form part of the Alfabb's collective information data base.
The classified adds section is used allot by members because they are collecting and selling parts for their cars. Some commercial companies charge upto 10% commission not to mention the payment facilities charges.
I'm also in favor of doing nothing with regards to deleting adds.
Only the known sold adds to be partitioned into another sub folder.
Steve

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
This is probably a minor thing in the grand scheme of things. I’ve noticed in the last year an increase in people responding to for sale ads that are many years old. Would there be some way to automatically lock for sale ads after x number of years?

Cheers,
Great recommendation.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
A better question is .."Why does it bug you?" Old ads not closed as "sold" or "no longer available" in the Subject line is the issue. I don't think sellers have that option in the edit function. Old ads also give a feel of the value of some of these parts and what the market would bear. They help new sellers of like parts establish some guide posts as to what to ask for the merchandise. If the edit function was available in the subject line, it would be a nice thing. just a IMHO... so don't shoot me

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Divot. I have found that the subject line in old posts/adverts is editable while body not. Except by way of a new post.

I agree with you ideas above.

Ken

·
Premium Member
15,974 Posts
I have no problem with the very old ads. They don't get in my way, and I do note the initial date and the following postings. I've actually bought a couple of parts from at least one of these very old ads, as the original poster still had some stuff left over, stashed in the back of his garage, lol. If they don't answer your requesing post, you can always PM hem, as usually that PM shows up in their new email.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I want to chime in on this one. My circumstance might be unique, but I have a for sale post for the Return Spring Brackets that I resurrect every year or two as demand builds up. I started the thread in 2016 and have resurrected it 4 times now.

I am happy to start a new thread in the future if that is what the consensus decides, but I wanted to give a scenario where it may be helpful to keep it open.

Additionally, I do agree it is nice to be able to access old posts to see what the "going rate" is too.

Alex

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
FWIW, editing subject lines and/or deleting old posts may lead to corrupted links in other threads where the item(s) and/or car(s) that have been offered may be discussed.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Interesting Ruedi. I hadn't thought about editing the subject line possibly corrupting a link. I'm going to try it by pasting a link to one of my for sale threads below, editing it to show SOLD and rechecking the link here.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Aw crap, I got the dreaded "You may not edit more than 10 different post(s) within 7 days" message even though it's the probably the first post I've tried to edit in a month. Who cares? The danged AlfaBB is busted anyway. :confused:

Edit: Okay, I exited the Sale thread, came back to it from a different direction and was able to edit the Subject line. Still can't edit the text of my first post but the link above still works with the edited subject line. Interestingly, I was allowed to edit the text of this post.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
Bill, the link you posted above is a good example of how the URI is being changed.

Before (URI as shown when one hovers the mouse over the link posted above):
Code:
https://www.alfabb.com/threads/set-of-matching-door-trunk-glovebox-locks-s2-spider.695719/#post-8541336
After (the URI as it appears in the browser after clicking on the link):
Code:
https://www.alfabb.com/threads/sold-set-of-matching-door-trunk-glovebox-locks-s2-spider.695719/#post-8541336
The big question is how long the server re-maps the URI (i.e. converts the old URI to the new one).

Worth noting is that the "For Sale" sub-forums operate by using a prefix with 4 options ("For Sale", "Wanted", "Free Stuff" and "No prefix") before the subject line, as shown in the screenshot below. This prefix seems to be a tag that does not become part of the URI or link. So, if somebody wants to change the status from "For Sale" to "Sold", they would have to change the subject lin as well as the prefix.

I don't know if admins (or moderators) have the ability to define additional prefixes (e.g. something like "Sold" or "Gone" or "Closed") that could be changed at a later point in time (thus not affecting the URIs and avoiding the risk of broken links in the long term). So, in many ways, changing the prefix would be much cleaner than changing the subject line (or "Thread title").

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
All of my adverts remain valid unless and until the parts are sold. I've been able to help owners with parts from a ten year old listing. Some things just take a while to find new homes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts