Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 482 Posts

·
Richard Jemison
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:eek:These were taken in 1971-72 at College Station Texas. Texas International Speedway.
Thanks to Dan Green For converting them to digital and my first wife for releasing the pics:p

The first pic is of my Duetto next to another EP 101 1600 Alfa that I can`t recall who owned it. But I believe it is the bearded fellow in the lower pic with Joe. The 1st 2nd and last pic were taken on National race weekend in 1972.

In the second pic is Joe Loccario, a real mentor to me. I`m the skinny nerdy one:eek:

The third & fourth pics are grid pics from TIS in `71. Catch the 904!:eek:

The Last Pic is Joe Loccario and the fellow I believe to be the owner of the Giulia EP car. Maybe one of you can ID him or the car....
Anyone know where my old race car might be now?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Richard,

Nice pictures, I like seeing how people and appearances have changed over the years. As far as tracking down your old car, if you still now the VIN, you might have some luck finding where it is now.

·
Super Moderator
11,246 Posts
Richard STILL has a winning smile!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Richard, I was only 7 or 8 when those pictures were taken, but I remember racing at College Station about that time. My Dad raced a G-Production Giulietta there around '73-'75. I remember watching Joe race a Showroom Stock B Alfetta in the mid-70's as well. If I recall correctly, he raced competitively well into his 70's.

Erik

·
Richard Jemison
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very old Texas Racers

I remember racing at College Station about that time. My Dad raced a G-Production Giulietta there around '73-'75. I remember watching Joe race a Showroom Stock B Alfetta in the mid-70's as well. If I recall correctly, he raced competitively well into his 70's.
There are a few more pics that Danyl is working on, one is of a Gold or Yellowish Giulietta that again I can`t recall the owner, but he loaned me rain tires & rims for a wet race before I had rain tires.
Here are a few more, a good one of Joe & wife in our paddoc, the first ex-wife, and the young carmugeon.:rolleyes: That`s Joe`s # 35 DP Alfa 1750 Spider in the background of the 2nd pic.
Some of these I hate to post:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
There are a few more pics that Danyl is working on, one is of a Gold or Yellowish Giulietta that again I can`t recall the owner, but he loaned me rain tires & rims for a wet race before I had rain tires.
:
Richard, if the gold Giulietta was #57, it was probably my Dad's. I'm pretty sure this one is from Ponca City, OK.

Erik

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Old Pics

Corvairs sure get no respect!
I will nudge Dan to convert some more of the pics inc. the Giulietta. There are pics from Ponca , Dallas, Memphis, Lake Charles, Rd. Atlanta, Sebring, Lakeland, Daytona, that Beth has not "parceled out" as of yet. It had taken 32 years to begin to get any of these so I`m being nice. Do you understand how hard that is. For Me:eek::p
Actually she is a true sweetheart;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
LOVE the pics. Keep on bringing! I was barely a couple of years old, but there's something about the 70's that makes me wish I was my parents age back then. Those were the good ol' days :cool:

·
Richard Jemison
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Early Texas In the Rain

In the Rain in 1971 or so, and again during the San Jacinto Region`s National Race in 1972 that I won on someone else`s rain( mud) tires at College Station .:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
All predate me. I raced at TWS in 1983, 84, 85. Formula Vee. I am trying to remember some of the Alfa guys from then. Bob Fernald from Austin was around then but I don't know anything about the 70's or if he was around then.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks for posting these pics. They're inspirational to me as I'm having built a Duetto racer from the ground up.

Did you ever think that old race car of yours would ever be such a rarity in the future? You hardly ever see Duetto racecars.

So how does a Duetto fare against a similarly prepped GTV? Is the Duetto's shorter wheelbase a liability?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Nader, I think you were addressing your question to Richard. But since I race a GTV against Duettos, I'll take a crack at it! Theoretically, you could argue that a spider should be faster because it has less frontal area, and perhaps a lower center of gravity. But my experience is that similiarly prepared cars are VERY similar in performance. Mike Besic raced his 1750 GTV for years before I bought it. He then switched to a 1750 round tail. His performance (which is impressive), wasn't much different than it had been before.

One thing to check with your local organization is what weight each would need to race at. A spider prepared to D-Prod may be allowed to weigh significantly less than a GTV prepared to B-Sedan.

Erik

·
Richard Jemison
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Duettos back in the day,

They were rarely seen as race cars. Particularly in the South, and SouthWest Region where I was racing. I started racing with this Duetto (it followed a Giulia Spider) when it came to me from California in 1968 as a "Red October". Some catfish has driven it into a lake and submerged it completely. It was in perfect condition otherwise, and it took about 2 days of work with friends at a fire station with a low pressure hose to flush everything, Yes, everything:rolleyes:, and had it running perfectly within a day. Best $500.00 ever spent on an Alfa:eek:. I drove it for a few months and decided it was going to be the race car!
About 1974 I built another DP 1750 Duetto (green) with wide steel fenders as tire rules had changed allowing 7 inch and cantilever tires. I think Danyl has a pic or two of the green car. I built the body for it as a street car before it became a race car as the EP car was still very good. It (the DP Duetto) was sold as I had enough on my plate.The EP Duetto got the fenders streched a bit as well. The pic below is at Rd America at Elkart Lake about 1975 with the streched fenders.

I just found the 2nd pic. If anyone can accurately identify where this pic was taken I`ll give you a cam of your choice!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,246 Posts
I'll give it a shot. In the background is THAT CORVAIR again. Silver this time. Try for the same track with the white Corvair tow car. Ah... pine trees too.

·
Richard Jemison
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Track guess....

Richard, for a cam, I'll take a wild guess! Lake Charles, Louisiana. How many more tries do I get?
Eric::confused:
Lets say 10:p No multiple shots! need justification for your choice!
The highest elevation at Lake Charles was two Hay Bales on top of each other not counting the Tower!
But I`m really safe! Keep looking at the elevation though. Pine trees. It will through you off;)

I'll give it a shot. In the background is THAT CORVAIR again. Silver this time. Try for the same track with the white Corvair tow car. Ah... pine trees too.
Gordon:
what do you need a cam for? you have a bunch that I made:confused:
You just collect stuff, you don`t drive them:eek: The nice Ferrari and Alfa are all gummed up from sitting.
Anyhow: Wrong:p and you didn`t name the track anyway!

·
Super Moderator
11,246 Posts
I like camz. I send 'um to the CAMMASTER and he grinds 'um up. Sorta like sharpening pencils. Do we get multiple guesses? You didn't answer. There used to be some pine trees at Road America. I tried to drive into them once.

1 - 20 of 482 Posts